Pedals/Cleats/Shoes Compatibility

mikeyb_lyd
mikeyb_lyd Posts: 11
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Just a newbie question, so I'm sure this sounds pretty dumb...But are Cleats a kind of 'one design for all'? Or do they vary?

The only reason I'm asking, Is that I'm after some crank bro's acid 1's...But am currently undecided on what shoes to get to go with them...Will any model by any manufactuer fit the pedals? Or are there certain compatibility issues?

Ta!

Comments

• kegs
    kegs Posts: 204
    Pretty much any mtb pedal/cleat system will be compatible with any mtb shoes, though you may need to use a shim under the cleat, or cut away a tiny bit of the tread on some shoes.

I know Crank Bros cleats work fine with specialized shoes, as that is the combo I use, but they do need a shim (included with the pedals) or a set of sole savers under the cleat.

Of course cleats are usually only compatible with that manufacturers pedals, but you knew that, didn't you? ;)
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Most shoes are 'SPD' compatible and Crank Bros MTB cleats are also 'SPD' compatible. Kae is to look for SPD compatibility (most MTB shoes, very few Road shoes... :D )

Steve C
    Steve C