Meridia Marathon Builth on Sunday

Sheppy
Sheppy Posts: 140
edited July 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi, this is a dumb question I'm afraid. Has anyone else entered this event and received anything other than an email confirming their entry from the online system? It's coming up this sunday which is bad as I'm currently fighting off a virus :cry: but assuming I'm recovered by sunday I would have expected to receive a race number and some other bits and pieces. It is my first Meridia event so I'm unsure of the protocol...

Comments

• streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    As long as you got an email confirmation then you are in. Simply go along to the event (nice and early), go to registration, tell the nice gentleman your name and he will check his list, cross off your name and then give you a goody bag which should contain a number plate, route map, flyers and junkmail.

You will receive a T-shirt on completion of the route.

What length course you doing, by the way?
  • dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    I did the one in Ruthin a few months back.

As streako has said, when you turn up to register (before 9 required I think), your name will be on a list corresponding to the event distance you've entered. Once you have signed near your name you'll get a goodie bag which has your race number/clips for attaching race number to bike and other goodies.

I'm tempted to enter this on the day, I'll wait though to see what the forecast is for Sunday.
  • I did the 50km at Ruthin, now i want to try and up it at Builth. Have put in extra work since then, although my riding partner falling off a couple of Saturdays ago and breaking his collar bone hasn't helped. So will go for the 78km(approx) and see how it goes.
  • Sheppy
    Thanks for the info guys.

I'm planning on doing the 100km one, however, I still haven't shaken off this virus... Could all end in tears!
  • baccodaddy
    baccodaddy Posts: 128
    100k has just been changed to 84 km due to land permission issues.builth is the easiest of the marathon not a massive amount of climbing .just start steady and leave something in the tank for the end ,you,ll love it .
  • dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    Did anyone do this in the end?

I decided yesterday not to do it due to the weather forecast (+ a good four hour round trip journey and there are some good sports on the tv today as well!)
  • taffyscouser
    taffyscouser Posts: 190
    Spent the last 30 minutes trying to find any comments on Sundays Merida...anyone got any links to any info. Their website has no current info.
  • I did the 100km, which according to my GPS was 78km.
    Finished in about 7 hours. The car park was looking very empty by the time I got back, everyone else had got changed and gone home by then. :?

I was 259, the guy in the pink shorts and yellow shirt, for anyone who was there. :P
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • I again settled for the 50km, the conditions(very wet & muddy) did in for my poor legs. My Kenda Nevegal tyres lacked grip, but budget means i can't afford all the things i need for every type of conditions. Must say i did prefer Ruthin to Builth, got fed up cycling along deep rutted tracks caused by Land Rovers and the like. Well organised again - am there for Scotland aswell. Wasn't the only Giant Trance 3 rider either - did get a close look at a Focus Super Bud - very nice, pity my cyclescheme wouldn't work with Wiggle.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    I again settled for the 50km, the conditions(very wet & muddy) did in for my poor legs. My Kenda Nevegal tyres lacked grip, but budget means i can't afford all the things i need for every type of conditions. Must say i did prefer Ruthin to Builth, got fed up cycling along deep rutted tracks caused by Land Rovers and the like. Well organised again - am there for Scotland aswell. Wasn't the only Giant Trance 3 rider either - did get a close look at a Focus Super Bud - very nice, pity my cyclescheme wouldn't work with Wiggle.

My sentiments exactly. Some sections were great but I got hacked off with some of the deep rutted tracks and general gloopiness. Why oh why can't some people manage to ride in a straight line... on the road!!? :?
  • rubito
    rubito Posts: 6
    Glad it wasn't just me that got narked off with the ruts, apologies to anyone that heard my loud profanities when i came off. I did the 75k in about 7 hours, the course was certainly a lot easier last year. Some of the downhills were great, some i fishtailed down and some weren't rideable for someone of my limited skills.
  • Sheppy
    I did it in the end. Really struggled after the virus and then in the wet muddy conditions. I can't say I enjoyed it but that was due to the conditions and lack of fitness. Although when the sun (rarely)came out I really enjoyed it. Found the last downhill on the 75km(!) route to be very steep and had a nasty off where I managed to rip a bit of flesh away from my shin with the peddal :cry:

I was riding a Trance 3 as well. First time I'd used it in anger, not a bad bike all in all. I didn't think the Kendal Nevgal tyres were too bad, must be used to really bad tyres!
  • onabike
    onabike Posts: 68
    I was 259, the guy in the pink shorts and yellow shirt, for anyone who was there
    Yeah I remember those pink shorts.. :lol:

I had a struggle. My dodgy knee ( tight ITB band) flared up again as it always seems to when pushing through muddy conditions. Had to break off early and limp back after 50km. Disappointing.

Whats weird is that I did 75km at Ruthin in about 4hrs.
    Did 50km at Builth in four and a half hours.

I saw alot of fall-offs. One girl I met in the B&B broke her arm. I didn't like the course actually, especially that bit where riders were going in different directions on the same track.