Shimano Flight deck

Jonr
Jonr Posts: 73
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
Does anybody use the shimano Flightdeck computer? any problems with it? what i it like to use? I believe there is a wired and a wireless, which one is best, is the wireless version reliable?
MTB
2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
2008 Ribble 7005 Audax

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    1) yes
    2) no
    3)reletivly easy, but then most cycle computers are. I like the gear indicator, would like to have Heart rate on it also considering the price. Downside is that it requires shimano shifters to work.
    4) only have wireless seems reliable
  • Jonr
    Thanks for that. Anyone else got any views?
    MTB

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Mine interferes with my non coded heart rate monitor which is a PITA. coded ones would probably be fine. Bit complicated to get used to but I do ike the way you can scroll through bits of info without moving your hands from the hoods. Downside to that though is its easy to push the stop button inadverdently.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I use the wireless one. No problems except programing can be a chore. Then again I"m
    not the brightest bulb in the closet.

Dennis Noward
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Wireless flightdeck user here, no problems, very reliable, I miss the gear indicator when I'm on my other bikes, the virtual cadence is a bit of a nonsense but some may like it, have used it with coded and non coded Polar HRMs and it seemed ok. Only minor niggle is the buttons on the back to start the thing up can be a pain to use sometimes, especially with gloves, oh and the wireless transmitter + head unit cost a bit expensive compared to other computers.
  • yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    Don't know if its of any use but..............

Wireless shimano flightdeck kit plus 6501 (old model?) computer on ebay for $39.95. P&P to the UK is c. $20 and insurance is $3.25 (I did enquire about it myself). All in all about £32 - cheapest I have seen in the UK is £70. I know it is in the US but maybe worth a punt.

Couldn't get the link to copy and paste correctly so here's the item number 200235944363.
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    Careful you get the right sensor. I ordered a flightdeck with my 105 equipped bike with ST-5600 shifters and the company sent me a SM-6501 sensor which is not compatible. Shimano product sheets state that the sensor I require is the SM-SC70 despite most online stores suggesting that this is only compatible with dura ace shifters, took a fair bit of effort to convince the company that this is one that I require too so hope it works when they finally get it in stock.

Currently got mismatched bar tape due to unwrapping one side to fit the cables
    only to discover that the connector wouldn't fit :o
  • Jonr
    Thanks for all that everyone, in the end I have decided to stick to budget and bought a specialized sport computer that came well recommended. I Can always upgrade at a later date and use this one on my mountain bike.

Jon
    MTB

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Bit of a thread necro, but I have spent an hour Googling without any clear answers; the question being where (if at all) could I find a FlightDeck display in black, compatible with 6700 STI shifters please, and what actual items would I need to buy? Thanks
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • west green
    west green Posts: 134
    Hi - resurrecting an old thread. I've just bought a pair of these, and the right hand lever has the sensor wire coming from under the name/ face plate - which from searching tech docs is correct. Unfortunately left sti has the sensor coming from the innards of the lever - this seems very wrong - any ideas? I don't want to use the flight deck function so any suggestions for tucking these away - don't want to cut them off as I'm assuming it will down grade their sell on value. Also they're fairly chewed up - is that normal? They're very firmly attached, as a quick tug confirmed, but I can't see what they're attached to? I'm hoping to trace them back and tuck them away safely, but really don't want to open the sti's up for fear of losing something and screwing up the shifters. Thanks West Green