Anyone ridden a Ribble carbon Scuro HCR bike

ski_bum
ski_bum Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in Workshop
I am considering buying one and I am interested in opinions!

Cheers

T

Comments

• 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    I've had one for 7 weeks now and love it, light fast, stiff, love it
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i'm also really interested in this one.
    can anyone give comparisons to other bikes
    is it bone shaking stiff compared to other carbon frames?
    how comfortable for long rides or sportives?

thanks in anticipation
    regards,
    dbb
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dbb wrote:
    is it bone shaking stiff compared to other carbon frames?

It's all about tyres and their pressures, rather than any frame.........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I know the science says that frames 'can't' make that much difference, but experience would tell me otherwise. When I got my first carbon bike I was expecting a nice fast ride but was shocked how comfortable it was. not why i bought it but a nice surprise.
    Don't know anything about this frame though :? I heard it was a bit soft.
    [/quote]
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    my experience also!

Made a recent change from an alloy Trek Pilot (itself meant to be a comfy bike) to a posh carbon S-works Roubaix - complete with questionable effect 'zertz' inserts.

i run it on even stiffer wheels - eurus vs R561's

on the same tyres (vittoria rubino) at the same pressure (125psi)

but the roubix is miles more comfortable (fit is the same, generally) and smoother with less 'buzz' from badly surfaced roads - it can't disguise potholes (obviously) but the damaged - breaking up tarmac feels much smoother and no longer threatens to vibrate my fillings out!
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    gkerr4 wrote:
    . . . . carbon S-works Roubaix - complete with questionable effect 'zertz' inserts.

but the roubix is miles more comfortable . . . . . with less 'buzz' from badly surfaced roads

Nothing to do with the 'Zertz'?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm - hard to say really - the inserts get a lot of stick on here and other places for being a bit of a gimmick and i can see the point of that argument too

all I know is that the frame with the inserts is bloody comfy!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Saw two riders on Scuro's this Sunday and they both said great things about them. They do look really nice. I like the way the top tube is almost curved..

I would deffo buy one if I needed a new frame. The dedacciai frame's are really nice and I am sure the scuro is one of the lightest carbon frames around?
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    25mm tyres on my Alu Ribble/alu steerer/carbon blades/alu seatpost/vento wheels v 23mm tyres on my Nero corsa everything carbon/neutron wheelset

The wider tyres on the ribble make it far more comfortable, of course if you compare Alu and carbon with same tyres and pressures the carbon frame does win, but the difference in tyres makes a far greater difference than the difference in frames.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Clem
    Clem Posts: 546
    My mate and I both have 'em for the Etape with (largely) Chorus stuff. Impressions so far are good for comfort, handling and power transfer...

You might want to treat that with some caution as neither of us have ridden any of the £2,000+ frames on the market. They must be better but I doubt they can be THAT much better.
  • ski_bum
    ski_bum Posts: 18
    thanks for the opinions! I'll need to ride a few before my mind is made up...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Getting to ride them is the only way to decide imo. Carbon frames can vary so much in terms of quality of ride and durablility. I recently tested two different carbons and they were like chalk and cheese .....
  • I have a Scuro and it rides like a dream, light responsive and very comfortable, It sounds like a contradiction but it really is a positive ride and I am a big bloke so tend to break frames!
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    My Scuro is awesome, full record and Eurus and weighs 7kg. Very responsive, stiff, fast and all the other cycling adjectives you can think of. You won't be disapointed.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    How does the Planet X carbon frame compare with the Scuro?