Recommend me a bike computer! requirements in main text

Jonr
Jonr Posts: 73
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Hi

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a bike computer. I have the following requirements:

1. Wireless
2. Can be switch between two bikes (road & mtb) with an additional sensor kit, without having to reset everything.
3. looks nice
4. reliable
5. Any other good thing that I might need to made aware of.
6. Good value

thanks

Jon
MTB
2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
2008 Ribble 7005 Audax

Comments

• ziggy.mcd
    ziggy.mcd Posts: 66
    My thoughts for what they are worth:

1. Wireless? - Fine, but if you want cadence function, (and you should), then this will reduce your choice, but there are a fair few out there.

2. Switch between wheels? - Many do allow two wheel sizes to be programmed some, i believe can recongnise which bike they are on!

3. Looks nice? - Now this is a challenge, rather subjective this one. The Trek link team has a body with metallic red trim with a negative LCD display, white digits on black back ground, does this sound ok?

4. Reliable? - Look for units with good seals on battery covers, no external contacts, (wireless helps here), go for a digital system 2.4Ghz, having said that their are lots of analogue units which work well, check manufacturers web sites for manuals to check cadence sensor range, some are on the limit if display is bar mounted with cadence sensor on chain stay. By the way my older wired computer works very well, but you then need to route the cables which can be a pain and they are unsighhtly.

5. Any thing else? - I believe you must have cadence function, I like the the heart rate function (stops me slacking during training), BIG digits are really helpfull.

6. Good value -Sigma BC1606 with cadence is well made and would have been my choice if I haden't wanted Heart rate function as well. I bought the Trek Link Team, but it was more than I wanted to spend. Synchronising all the sensors can be a bit hit and miss, mainly due to operator error.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Garmin Forerunner (or Edge).

- it's wireless
    - no setup issues
    - can fit to any bike or run with it
    - looks eerm, like a computer
    - can customise the display
    - can add cadence sensor (on 305)
    - additionally has HR monitor (305)
    - download / upload routes
    - record and monitor your performance
    - training aid (virtual partner & training programs you can set)
    - there has recently been some good offers on both Forerunner and Edge models.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • velohead18
    velohead18 Posts: 22
    Cateye Micro Wireless - £34.99

Has everything you need including a backlight for night riding.

You'll only need a computer with cadence if you're training seriously and need to measure your leg revolutions.

Velohead18
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    The Cateye Strada Wireless is a superb little computer.................slightly more expensive than whats been suggested though at about £39.99.

What I like about it is that in order to change through the functions you actually press the computer rather than a small button on the computer making it easy to do even wearing full finger gloves in the winter.

I think one of the cycling magazines reviewed it recently giving it top marks too
  • fatfreddy
    fatfreddy Posts: 332
    another vote for the Cateye Strada Wireless
    ff
  • velohead18
    velohead18 Posts: 22
    And it's coming out in white very soon.
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    Its already out in White, ive got one its awesome, and because its white makes you go faster. ... :lol:
  • Jonr
    Jonr Posts: 73
    Thanks all for your replies it is much appreciated, and for some useful advice too. In the end I have opted for a fairly basic but well reviewed wireless model: specialized sport, on for a bargain price at the LBS this evening so I'm happy enough for now. I'll maybe upgrade at a later date. I was thinking maybe of the shimano flight deck but we'll see as there seems to be mixed views of this. I really like the sound of the garmin devices especially if they can include cadence and HR. I've just bought a new bike so I'll have to wait for a while now or I might upset the fine balance I tread with Erindoors.
    MTB
    2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
    199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Jonr wrote:
    Thanks all for your replies it is much appreciated, and for some useful advice too. In the end I have opted for a fairly basic but well reviewed wireless model: specialized sport, on for a bargain price at the LBS this evening so I'm happy enough for now. I'll maybe upgrade at a later date. I was thinking maybe of the shimano flight deck but we'll see as there seems to be mixed views of this. I really like the sound of the garmin devices especially if they can include cadence and HR. I've just bought a new bike so I'll have to wait for a while now or I might upset the fine balance I tread with Erindoors.

Hi there.

Mixed reviews for the flightdeck? I've never seen a good review!

A real missed opportunity for Shimano there - maybe integration with their electronic changing will make for a better product.

Cheers, Andy