Today I met someone I never thought I would..

Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf Posts: 776
edited December 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Today I was in arlington saying goodbye to my grandad.. When all of a sudden a all singing all dancing Iron Horse/Monster Energy van pulled up... And the 1 and only Sam Hill steps out...
Out of all the people in the world, I end up sitting next to him having a pint, in the middle of almost nowhere...
Foe those who don't know, this is Sam Hill:
http://www.freewebs.com/killarneydh/sam_1024.jpg
http://www.maximausa.com/racing/images/Sam-Hill-2.jpg

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    lucky $%^%$&^& £$£%"$& "$£$%&^£

thats all i can say about that really
  • BikerDan
    BikerDan Posts: 188
    What, did the monster energy truck just pull up from nowhere? You lucky sod! 8)
    Learn on a Hardtail or be crap forever!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Mountain biking beer goggles if you ask me! :wink:
  • Papa Smurf
    Yeah he just pulled up in the pub car park out of nowhere.. I was like.. OH MY GOD..
    Of all the things I had seen that day, I wasn't expecting that.

Heres a pic of the van he was driving..
    P6303129.jpg
    P6303130.jpg
  • elmotheewokking
    elmotheewokking Posts: 2,279
    Of course. You got a picture of him too right?
    Right?
  • dirtbiker100
    personally the last thing I'd want to do is take a pic of him.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You thing that's cool, guess who I met in PC World in Preston (bare with me, it made my day). Only the guy who plays R2D2 in Star Wars!...No really.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Papa Smurf
    Lol well we shall decide who is better by seeing who is faster downhill :P

No I didn't get a pic of him, not into taking pics of blokes lol
  • John
    John Posts: 2,499
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Today I was in arlington saying goodbye to my grandad.. When all I end up sitting next to him having a pint, in the middle of almost nowhere...

I bet he said fuck all as usual.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    edited July 2008
    read my post below, I've messed this one up... :(
  • god1406
    John wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Today I was in arlington saying goodbye to my grandad.. When all I end up sitting next to him having a pint, in the middle of almost nowhere...

I bet he said f*** all as usual.

well said!

''OMG WOW Sam, how do you feel about being the DH world champion??''

''mmpphhhh meh mumble fmeh''

If he had more of a personality I don't think people would be so adverse to his current dominance.

EDIT: Actually, that sounded a bit harsh. He's probably a really nice guy, but not obviously so when there's a camera in his face like Peaty or Gracia.
  • dirtbiker100
    Just because he's not an extrovert doesn't make him a bad person? Are there a lot of people adverse to his current dominance? I think its because he's shaken it all up so much.
  • god1406
    did you read the 'Sam Hill TM' article in Dirt a few months ago? It summed up what I was trying to say.

The point was that he seems to dominate everyone recently*, but people/I can't relate to him as a 'sporting icon' because he doesn't say an awful lot or appear to be that emotional.

eg: it's nice when Hamilton wins an F1 race becuase you know he's going to be chuffed to bits, wheras Raikkonen keeps himself to himself and isn't so inspiring.

I've sort of forgotton what it was I was saying :)

*saying that, the Syndicate might put an end to his reign :) or Gee...
  • dirtbiker100
    I really wish peaty would have some amazing come back but he won't now.
    Gee to come through would be absolutely fantastic especially if rachel can make it two.
    But come on. Hill was 6+ seconds up when he crashed at the world champs. He crashed in a fast section - its not as though they were going 10mph round a tight bend. and he still came 3rd. no-one's got a chance have they.
  • god1406
    I thought that actually. ''hooray, Gee's won!''. Yes... but Sam would have made everyone look silly if he hadn't washed out in the last corner :)

Peaty won Lisbon downtown though didn't he, and he does consistently place 3rd/4th...

Kovarik should win something, he's supposed to be 'on it' this year.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    you lucky devil you...

still quite a random thing to happen though!

sam hill is an amazing rider it has to be said, but i think Gee is kinda putting a bit of pressure on him, especially looking at his latest performances!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    John wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:

I bet he said fuck all as usual.

Bit harsh...His Grandad is probably old :roll:
  • Papa Smurf
    Was quite a nasty wash out n all... Bet that took him by surprise! I could see it coming from the video though, he was going far too fast on loose ground.. It's obvious.

Personally I get the feeling Peaty is kinda out of the game now, definately gonna see some kick ass races between Gee and Sam, you never know what Greg Minaar might do though..

Hopefully get up to Fort Willam next year and see the action for myself!
  • dirtbiker100
    Papa Smurf wrote:
    Personally I get the feeling Peaty is kinda out of the game now
    :cry: No he isn't. he'll win the world champs next year.
    he has to.

tbh peaty is in 4th in the rankings at the moment. You can't rule him out just yet. surely?
    http://www.uci.ch/ucinet/default.asp?pa ... 2008&l=ENG
  • Papa Smurf
    Well I'm mostly going by that fact of how quickly Sam can take 5 seconds off his time when what, not even halfway down the track..
  • dirtbiker100
    Sam's in a different league when he puts his mind to it. If he makes a mistake or isn't on it then he can drop quite a few places it seems, then gee & co are more than willing to step in.
  • I saw Martyn Ashton once driving past in his Animal Bike tour van and trailer at a motorway service station.