Bought a helmet today

wilfus
wilfus Posts: 78
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm just in the process of buying all the kit I need to get back into mountain biking regularly after many years out of the saddle, and just using my current bike for work. I'm 30 years old and really looking forward to getting out there.

I've been buying bits and bobs over the last couple of months as I want to make sure I'm fully equipped before shelling out the main cash on the bike which incidentally is likely to be a GT Avalanche Expert unless I change my mind. I really just need some shoes, shorts, gloves and a bag now.

Well anyway I bought my first ever helmet today. I've never worn one before because a) i'm stupid and b) headwear of any kind does not suit me.

Its nothing special, just a Michelin Free MX from Tesco. It was one of two left at £9.99. They had originally been on sale for £39.99. I would never have paid full price for it but felt that I couldn't turn it down at £9.99. Even if I don't get on with it I don't mind just using it for a couple of months before investing in a better one.

It fits well and has a good adjustment system on the back to keep it snug. Its got a removable visor, 16 vents, and apparently weighs 300g.

The only problem I have is that I think I look ridiculous with it on. I know it doesn't matter what you look like, safety is paramount but when I look at pictures of others with them on they look really cool. I think I'll get used to it eventually. Did anyone else feel like this at first or is it just me?

Comments

• Don't worry about it. Every new helmet takes some getting used to. You'll look far dafter on your bike at some point or other - we all do. If it's a choice between looking slightly odd or smashing my head open, then bring on hte laughter!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think it's a cultural thing. Once you get used to it it will seem normal. I must admit when I see riders without helmets (and there aren't many anymore) my first reaction is that they look odd and are probably newbies or will be riding Apollos. Nearly everyone who is serious about their biking wears a helmet.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • mikeyb_lyd
    mikeyb_lyd Posts: 11
    Agree with both of these points. I'm a recent helmet convert - I felt stupid at first, as the cheaper ones tend to look 'bulbous' if you know what I mean...But it really is true that nowadays you stand out more-so if you're not wearing one at all...
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    A lot depends where you ride. There is little point wearing a helmet while road riding as they are only designed for a fall by an average weight rider (11st?) from a height of 1 metre at a speed less than 12 miles per hour (nice mix of metric and imperial there!). If a car hits you the helmet will not help very much at all. However on a MTB off road where you are likely to fall off or bash your head on overhanging branches then there is a valid use.

Don't worry, everything looks silly out of context, and when you get your bike, baggies, shades and a covering of mud it'll look fine.

Steve C

PS If your bored try posting the same article to uk.rec.cycling on usenet. They were even arguing about a cartoon with a helmet in it the other day.
    Steve C
  • Hi Wilfus. I was in exactly the same situation,compounded by the fact that i work in a brain injury rehab unit,the grief i got because i would not wear a helmet for the same reasons as you,was justifiable, but intense to say the least.My point is,and i'm not trying to scare you,but i've seen the results of accidents that could have been much slighter if the person had been wearing a helmet than if not.Be safe,wear the helmet.As for how good you look in a helmet?,you wont look as big a gonk as i do....... :lol:
  • wilfus
    Yeah I'll get used to wearing it. I suppose its like anything thats new to you, it takes a bit of time but after a while it becomes the norm.

I'm dying to get out there but just when I think I'm gonna be able to buy the bike something else needs to be paid for. Moving house, clutch going on car and so on and so on..........god its so frustrating.
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    get something 2nd hand and get out riding
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Everyone looks a bit daft in a Helmet but you will find that if you ride at Trail Centres then 99% of riders there will have them on ,so we can all look daft together !!

I dont even think about it anymore,it just seems natural to wear a helmet these days,just part of the MTB uniform :)
  • wilfus
    Larok wrote:
    get something 2nd hand and get out riding

Yeah its looking like I'll be doing that. I do ride an old Barracuda bike for travelling to work but its really heavy and too small. I do a bit of off road riding on it occasionallly but I don't trust it for any serious off road riding.
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    don't worry about it. I got told the other day by some chav that I looked like a t*** because I wear a helmet but remember that one day it might save your life (as my various incarnations of helmet have on many occasions)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sc999cs wrote:
    A lot depends where you ride. There is little point wearing a helmet while road riding as they are only designed for a fall by an average weight rider (11st?) from a height of 1 metre at a speed less than 12 miles per hour (nice mix of metric and imperial there!). If a car hits you the helmet will not help very much at all. However on a MTB off road where you are likely to fall off or bash your head on overhanging branches then there is a valid use.

"Performance" helmets are designed to handle much more vicious impacts than that.

Also, if I remember rightly, those specs (for kids' helmets seems to ring a bell) are for the kind of impact the helmet should protect 100% from. They will still be effective at higher speeds, but obviously less and less as the speed increases.
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Read the sun newspaper today
    a girl fell off her bike and got her head run over by a car the helmet saved her
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact