Rim tape

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited June 2008 in Workshop
I should know by now but rim tape has always just been there, don't really see the point but I accepted it was necessary. However, I have had 3 punctures without ridding anywhere. They are all in the same place where the original rim tape on my Shimano WH-R 550 wheels goes over a spoke hole. The spoke is not visible but the indent on the tape is more on that spoke hole than on any other. I usually pump the tyres up to about 110 on the gage which I assume is about 100psi once I've removed the pump.
Is there a specific rim tape I should be using , how long should they last and is this usual?
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    can't answer your wheel/pressure questions, but Velox tape is (I understand) regarded as being the business. I have had good results with it.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I had a spate of rim side punctures when I first took delivery of my DT Swiss 1850s.
    Supplied DT tape was rubbish though I suspect it was meant for 1.1 rims (mine were 1.2s). All solved with Velox cloth tape. Now use it on all my wheels that require tape and haven't had a rim-induced puncture since.