Planning A pretty Epic First XC endurance Ride...any tips?

chrisjroe
chrisjroe Posts: 40
edited July 2008 in MTB rides
AS titled pretty much, a friend and i plan to ride from where we live in fboro hants to the new forest (south-hampton), Along the coast to little hampton where i own a caravan for a quick stay. Then back to home in fboro!

we have planned 4 days for all of this as we want to do a little sightseeing and give ourselves that little bit more time as its our first proper ride!

We have planned to go in about a months time so we have a month to extensively train

any tips or hints about any aspect of the trip would help.

e.g what kit to pack, how to train etc

thanks guys!

f_planm_f1bbd05.jpg

Comments

• Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    you camping the other nights?
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    Is this going to be on or off road?

If it is off road I would suggest that for the return leg you head along the coast a bit to Shoreham, and pick up the Downs Link, which takes you up to Guildford on an old railway line. Then from Guildford it is fairly easy to get back to Farnborough.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    Good hydration as you are likly to go from a 4L a day intake to around 12L due to riding. Also decent shorts will help as you are going to be rubbed raw.
  • chrisjroe
    we plan to camp yes and we have the relevant arrangements as well!

I am planning to do this trip or a Giant Terrago Disc so any advice on minor upgrades would also be appreciated!

Thanks for the hydration tip as well!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Chamois cream, eat and drink before your hungry/thirsty, try out any energy drinks, gels etc before you go, this makes sure you get on ok with them, some can cause wind/indegestion, more chamois cream, suntan lotion, insect repellant (hopefully!), train whilst carrying all the kit you'll take with you, useless if you can't do more than a few miles with your chosen packs etc, big puncture repair kit, bit more chamois cream, first aid kit, clipless pedals, make a hell of a differance over that sort of distance, good maps, compass, full service, check chain wear etc, and finally a sense of humour and a bit of luck.

p.s As if I hadn't written enough already! Don't train too heavily the week before you go, I'd personally try to do two 20ish mile rides during the weeks and a longer one at weekends, then just two 10-15 milers during the final week to keep your legs moving and ensure your happy with everything. Oh and load up with carbs that week too. And water, if you don't drink enough during the build up you'll find that when your upping your intake during the ride you'll just need to stop for a p!ss every half hour!

p.p.s If you want some professional advice on training look at endurojcbs links in this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12575765
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    /\ /\ /\ Excellent advice batch78, I couldn't agree more /\ /\ /\

The only other thing i'd add (and it sounds stupid) is to make sure you saddle is properly adjusted before you go!! My last long trip it wasn't quite right and it was too late by the time i knew i had to change it as the damage had been done making for a VERY uncomfortable 2nd day :shock: :roll:

Check out this site on carb loading - the sample menu is good too. It worked very well for me but i know of others who haven't got on with it
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Batch78 said lots of good stuff. In case you didn't notice it in his post, cream or a generous helping of vaseline does wonders.

Also padded (under)shorts and overshoes (in case the weather's not good).

I did London to Paris in 2 days last year. I followed the padded shorts & vaseline advice. Didn't follow the overshoes advice and regretted it (though it was September time). Doing Cork to Galway (slighty more than L2P) and guess what I'm going to buy soon...
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Oh and if they're MTBs, you're doing it on road and you can afford them, then a pair of slick tyres would make a massive difference.
  • chrisjroe
    thanks people :)

il get some comfort padding then :D
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    probikekit have some very cheap Nalini bibshorts at the minute. Very good for the price and I'd recommend bibs as they're more comfortable and stop a cold chill up your back