What GPS for two week tours?

Special K
Special K Posts: 449
edited July 2008 in Workshop
Am planning a two week tour out in the middle of nowehere.

I want to record altitude gain/loss, distance and speed averages etc over a two week period.

Where I've been plotted against a map is a bonus, but it's really the raw data I am after.

Problem: I understand from others with Garmin 205s, that after a week or so of touring, the first days data starts being overwritten, so:

1) What (cheap) GPS system should I use to be able to upload to email, say, via an internet cafe pc. How best to do this? Can't install the Garmin software on every PC I come across, and not even sure I will have access to a PC...

or if not possible

2) What (cheap) GPS system can I use were I upload data to a data card or similar.

3) Is there a GPS system out there which will record 120 hours plus?

Any advice or pointers accepted, especially if my assumptions are all wrong!

Thanks
"There are holes in the sky,
Where the rain gets in.
But they're ever so small
That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    How about...

Garmin (Edge or other)
    + Memory Map
    + Pocket PC

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/products_overview.htm
    Rich
  • simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    You can get GPS loggers which will just record your position every so often for later analysis.
    They have a low power consumption, but I think you'd need something with replaceable batteries and maybe replaceable memory if you are going to have really long run times.

This is the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/GPS_Rec ... OGGER.html
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Nokia sports tracker works on GPS phones. Costs nothing if you have a suitable phone.
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    But the battery life on the Nokia phones when using it (at least on my N95) doesn't even approach what it sounds like the OP will need. I charged my N95 fully before the L2B to track the ride, and it died an hour before we got to Brighton, lasted about 4 hours.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    My Forerunner 305 has recorded 80hrs of riding at the moment. Not sure exactly how much it will hold. Can't see anything in the manual.

It does need to be on 'smart recording' though as 'every second record' will start overwriting that trip's data after 3.5 hrs.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • cougie
    Blimey - 4 hours isnt much is it on the N95 ? I know I've used mine to track an 80+ ride - so that was over 5 hours. The phones are heavy on juice though arent they - I switch the bluetooth off to save a bit.
  • beto
    beto Posts: 7
    Special K wrote:
    Am planning a two week tour out in the middle of nowehere.

I want to record altitude gain/loss, distance and speed averages etc over a two week period.

Where I've been plotted against a map is a bonus, but it's really the raw data I am after.

Problem: I understand from others with Garmin 205s, that after a week or so of touring, the first days data starts being overwritten, so:

1) What (cheap) GPS system should I use to be able to upload to email, say, via an internet cafe pc. How best to do this? Can't install the Garmin software on every PC I come across, and not even sure I will have access to a PC...

or if not possible

2) What (cheap) GPS system can I use were I upload data to a data card or similar.

3) Is there a GPS system out there which will record 120 hours plus?

Any advice or pointers accepted, especially if my assumptions are all wrong!

Thanks
    try the garmin geko 201 + tracklogs., it's really easy to use you and cheap
  • as above or tracklogs ,if you're in GB and a garmin vista hcx. at the end of every day save the tracklog.you will need some way of recharging the batteries but you'll easily get a days riding out of rechargeables.can't say how long ordinary batteries last.
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    cougie wrote:
    Blimey - 4 hours isnt much is it on the N95 ? I know I've used mine to track an 80+ ride - so that was over 5 hours. The phones are heavy on juice though arent they - I switch the bluetooth off to save a bit.

The N95 I have is a battery guzzler. The sports tracker thing is awesome, but it's not really any cop for long-term use.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    thank you - good advice.

not as worried about battery life as I will have a USD battery pack and solar charger...
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • cougie
    How do you find the solar chargers ? I got one from Firebox last summer and it was unbelievably crap.