Front and rear tyres choice, mix or match?

pothole seeker
pothole seeker Posts: 87
edited June 2008 in MTB general
Hi,

I was looking into some new tyres and it got me thinking about what factors affect your choice for a front or a rear tyre. I've always just had the same tyres on both wheels.

What characteristics does one look for for each end of their bike?

Can it make a difference?

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    well i have gone with
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Pro%20Tyre

as they have got great reviews and i can get them in red to go with my bike. aint I just so vain 8)
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • What I'm getting at is that there are specific downhill front and rear tyres.

Can the same be applied to XC/trail riding,

Effect of differnt tyre widths front and back. Tyre patterns etc

Can you set up your bike in such a way?
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Yeah you can mix and match to your hearts content.

Typically you need less grip from the back so that lets you use a narrower tyre or a harder compound at the rear to let it roll easier.

For example in winter on my XC bike I run a 2.3 Maxxis High roller Maxpro (hardest compound they do) on the rear and the same tyre but a Supertacky compound on the front. This gives me my preferred balance of grip on the front with the minimum amount of rolling resistance possible (again just my preference), in summer I use a Maxpro front and rear.

Friend of mine who's much lighter than me, runs a 2.1 Highrollers front and a 1.9 rear.

But there's nothing to say you can't run, different, compounds, makes, types, sizes, anything front and rear.