Seized carbon seatpost in Ti frame - help!

Stuck on a Giant
Stuck on a Giant Posts: 256
edited June 2008 in Workshop
I wanted to change the saddle on my Litespeed, which would also mean changing the seatpost height, but found the post is seized in the frame. As one part is Ti, and the the other is carbon, the usual WD40, heat or hammer approach don't seem quite right.

Handy hints much appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    Interesting - I hadn't realised ti/carbon seizing was a problem. I've had the same problem with my alu bike.

It probably depends how long the post has been left in the frame. if it's not too bad you might get away with riding with the seat post clamp loose for a bit

If not, keep squirting WD40 down there over a period of days and replace your good saddle with a heavy old one that you don't mind damaging. You can use this saddle to try and get some more leverage on shifting the post.

If that's still not doing it - see if you can fit a steel rod through the saddle for even more leverage. If the post starts moving, it'll probably make a hell of a noise but you'll get it out in the end.

And if that's still not working - you'll probably have to resort to cutting the post out. though I'd have thought it's less risky on a ti frame, being such a strong metal ...

And last step is to buy a new ti seatpost ;-)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As OP states - leverage is the key to get it moving and be prepared to sacrifice the seatpost. Clamping the head of the post in a big bench vice and then twisting the frame usually gives plenty of leverage and usually results in a loud crack as either the post moves or breaks! Remember to fit anti-seize the next time and give your post a 'tweak' regularly to make sure it's not sticking.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I've had this issue with my seatpost and Alu frame. Took the bottom bracket off, turned it upside down and poured some lube down it, left it for a few hours and it came out.
  • mekonta
    mekonta Posts: 58
    Another point - I'm not sure how this affects ti frames, but certainly with aluminium frames, once it's happened, it'll happen again much more quickly because the corrosion has already started in the frame. So you should be in the habit of removing, cleaning & regreasing the post at least monthly afterwards.

I tried to get in this habit after I had the same problem, also put lots of carbon anti-seize stuff on, and promptly neglected the post for a couple months. I now have a seized post once again ...