Arrggghhh P*nctures!

Nuggs
Nuggs Posts: 1,804
edited July 2008 in Workshop
My last three rides have ended with a rear p*uncture.

Each time I've checked inside the tyre to make sure there's no debris/sharp objects. I've given the rim a good check for protruding spokes or sharp edges. Each time I've not found anything.

What would you recommend? Put it down to bad luck and carry on regardless? An extra layer of rim tape and another check around the tyre? Start again with new tyres? Change from using Spesh inners (I have heard some disparraging comments about them on here)?

All help gratefully received!

PS. I did get a chance to use a CO2 pump for the first time yesterday - what a revalation! Flat to full in a nanosecond!

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You havent found the cause of the puncture - so whatever it was is still in there.

You need to pump the tube up and find out where the hole is in relation to the wheel/tyre.

Then fix that problem, its probably something in the tyre but you may need to flex the tyre to get at it ?
  • Nuggs
    cougie wrote:
    You havent found the cause of the puncture - so whatever it was is still in there.

You need to pump the tube up and find out where the hole is in relation to the wheel/tyre.

Then fix that problem, its probably something in the tyre but you may need to flex the tyre to get at it ?
    Strange thing is that yesterday I went 40 miles before p*ncturing. I'd have thought that if what had caused the last p*ncture was still there, it would have made itself known before the end of the ride?

In desparation, I have turned the tyre inside out and pored over every square inch and not found anything suspect.

Very confuzzled...
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Sounds like the rim tape isn't aligned properly and is allowing the tube to catch on the eyelet/spoke
    M.Rushton
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Next time you puncture, make a mental note of the tube position before removing, locate the hole and then check the rim and tyre in that area. If you puncture repeatedly in the same place you can eliminate sheer bad luck and hopefully identify the cause...

You would surely notice if the rim tape wasn't covering an eyelet?! Replacing the rim tape can be helpful anyhow so worth a try.
  • if the p**ctures in the same place each time then i'd say there is something wrong with or in the tyre and i'd bin it if i couldn't find the problem. if they're in different locations each time then i reckon it's just plain old bad luck
    pm
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    check the inner lining that covers the holes on the rim isnt causing snags that lead to punctures.

JimmyK
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Swap the front and rear tyres. If you puncture on the back again, its unlikely to be the tyre. If you do't puncture on the front, its less clear cut because the front doesn't carry as much of your weight.

I find its often impossible to spot the culprit in a tyre by inspecting from the inside. Debris can reside in a tyre tread tht only pokes through the carcass when the tyre is inflated and/or under load.

Try pinching the tyre so as to open out any small cuts on the outside of the tyre. Do this is away from small children, in case you find something small, inevitably dark in colour, but unquestionably sharp that you can't believe you've missed. :oops: (repeasted personal experience of mine)
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    if the p**ctures in the same place each time then i'd say there is something wrong with or in the tyre and i'd bin it if i couldn't find the problem. if they're in different locations each time then i reckon it's just plain old bad luck

If you've p**ctured 3 times in the same place you should go back and have a look for something sharp on the road. Or try taking a different route next time? :wink:
  • Nuggs
    Thanks for your help chaps. :)

I've got a roll of Conti rim tape at the ready. I'll give the tyre a really good examination tonight as well...
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    IanTrcp wrote:
    if the p**ctures in the same place each time then i'd say there is something wrong with or in the tyre and i'd bin it if i couldn't find the problem. if they're in different locations each time then i reckon it's just plain old bad luck

If you've p**ctured 3 times in the same place you should go back and have a look for something sharp on the road. Or try taking a different route next time? :wink:

full marks for thinking outside of the box
    regards,
    dbb
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Try running a paper tissue around the inside of the tyre. This often snags on tiny thorns that a finger misses.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    barnesr wrote:
    Try running a paper tissue around the inside of the tyre. This often snags on tiny thorns that a finger misses.

That's a good one! (new to me - thanks)
  • Nuggs
    Try pinching the tyre so as to open out any small cuts on the outside of the tyre.
    This is absolutely diamond advice.

I went round the tyre (inside and out) last night and couldn't spot anything.

Then I started pulling the tyre about a bit when looking around the outside. I found:
      One tiny piece of flit Two pieces of glass One tiny stone

All of which were hidden and only became visible/accessible once the tiny cuts had been opened up. I needed tweezers and a small screwdriver blade to remove the offending debris. No wonder I had been suffering a spate of flats!

Let's hope I stay p*ncture free for a little while!

Thanks so much for your help chaps! :D