Scott Scale

oldholborn
oldholborn Posts: 114
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi

I am just looking for my first mtb.
Today I have been to Grafham Water and hired the Scott Scale and the Rock Hopper.
The Scott was amazing loved the position where as the Rockhopper felt bland by comparison.
What concerns me is the ride its hard and may be tiring on long runs.
If I buy it I will seriously consider carbon fibre handlebars and seat post.
Does any use the Scale for long rides?
What experience have you had with the Scale?

Comments

• mikeyb_lyd
    mikeyb_lyd Posts: 11
    What model scale is it mate? I've got the 70 (Yellow, Black & White one) and its truely awesome! I've only done a handful of 10 or so mile rides so far, but you do learn to love it fairly quickly! I havn't found the ride to be harsh at all. Obviuosly can't let you know what it'll be like on longer rides though! Guess we'll both be finding out soon?!
  • oldholborn
    oldholborn Posts: 114
    Its the Scale 70.
    Do you find you need the disc brakes?
  • miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Hi
    I had a Scale 20 and loved it but it was quite a "hard ride"
    Arms and legs aching after a long ride
    Thats why I'm now riding full-sus

In summary:
    Grteat Bike, hard ride
  • mikeyb_lyd
    mikeyb_lyd Posts: 11
    oldholborn wrote:
    Its the Scale 70.
    Do you find you need the disc brakes?

Nah, I don't, not for my type of riding (road&country lanes) it all comes down to what you're gonna be using it for..! My V's work pretty well if I'm honest
  • I ride an '05 scale 50. I have now done 5,665 miles on it (rural road rides, commuting). A long ride for me is 45 miles over the surrey hills on rough, abrasive tarmac, or 60 miles on normal roads. I've fitted mine with Pace RC31 rigid forks to drop weight, so I use pearl izumi gloves which helps damp the vibrations. I run my continental slicks at ridiculously low pressures sometimes (20psi) to help improve comfort on the roughest roads. Like you, I love the balance of the geometry and I think your better off starting with a bike that excites you and making it more comfortable than starting with the 'bland' bike and somehow making it more exciting. Before I turned it into a road bike I did a fair amount of XC in woods, and spent a lot of time standing up on the bike! the stock front forks on mine were awful and I used small volume tyres, so I think the best way to make the bike fatigue you less is to get the right tyres and experement with the pressure.
    I love the hydraulic disks, I wouldn't consider going back to V-brakes. They are so much more reliable; A pair of (stock resin) pads will last 700-800 miles and stopping power is consistent for the pad's whole life. no adjustment or anything.