Bob Jackson Vigorelli - advice please

cycles goff
cycles goff Posts: 19
edited July 2008 in Road general
Hi anyone have one of these; I'm looking to build up a frame for some training on the track . Is the geometry and ride like a road or track bike? Would it be stiff enough and have sufficient clearance for most tracks? ...not that I'm chris hoy or anything. Many thanks.

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    They are good although I only bought mine for road use. I bought a 23" last year but it is a little big for me. I have only used it twice in a year so I might end up selling it. Get the size right and I would say they are hard to beat especially for the price. Next one up would be the Mercian - nice but more cash.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i have a 22 and a half. it's a gorgeous frame, with fairly traditional geometry, horizontal top tube, etc. i think the frame stems from the british path/track combo idea, and as such, there's a bit of room, they're not massively tight. also bear in mind that the 631 tubing is thin and flexible, making it an extremely pliant and lovely ride, but not overly skittish.

i'd argue that the vigorelli, despite its name, is an all-rounder, winter trainer, summer fixed, suitable for track work, without being a thoroughbred with rizla paper-thick clearance.

it is one of the best bikes i have ridden, ever. i love it. (i also ride a colnago super, newish condor, and px-10).

order early, wait time is anything up to 8-10 weeks.

nb, mine doesn't really look like this anymore, replaced ambrosio drivetrain with sugino 75, now using bullhorns for round town, butchered brooks saddle. and it's dark blue, even though it looks black, with green luglining.

1274397874_52d639cdbd.jpg
    1319778766_c9f0e433b4.jpg
  • GaryGkn
    Hi Peejay I will try and drop a pic of my BJ tomorrow.

I bought a 23" and the stand over is 85mm. I am 6ft exactly but I wish I had bought a 22" I tried a 21" in Putney cycles last night and the top tube was at a good height but overall this size would be too small. I noticed that my reach on bikes over 23" is compromised slightly and I am at a stretch.

The 23" has nice sized tubing!

Which means that I may decide to sell off all my bikes and start again as they may all be slightly over sized.

How tall are you Peejay?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i'm 6"2, i generally ride anything over a 57.

22.5 is about right, 23 is fine as well.

does the 23 have 853 os tubing?
  • GaryGkn
    No 631 tubing.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Im 5'11" with a 35" i/leg measured as per Bob Jacksons instructions.I find I can ride a 23.5" no problem. I have a 23.5" Hurlow which has a higher b/bkt which means I only have an 1" or so gooley clearence. I think if you can straddle them ok save your money Gary and keep what you have. The Hurlow,Uppadine and road ace are all 23.5" and the rest 23". As a rough set up I use 30" from b/bkt centre to the top of the saddle.

http://pics-by-dickie.fotopic.net/list_collections.php
  • GaryGkn
    Thanks Dickie . I would probably have upgraded to a Mercian Professional fixed. Which would have cost a bomb I'm sure. I have perhaps a mm clearance.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    Gary, what is the standover height and what size tyres do you use?
  • GaryGkn
    Hi Dickie, the tyre are 23mm the stand over height appears to be 85cm although that is from memory so I will measure up tonight.
  • I've used 28s in my Vigorelli - tight but they will go.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • GaryGkn
    They are able to take 28c but for me that would set top tube even higher!