Can't dial-out play in headset

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Noticed a bit of play in the headset of my Izoard. I don't seem to be able to dial it all out though via the top cap bolt. Is this normal, rare or even serious?

I was 7 miles from home when I noticed it. Took to the cycle path (a first) and crawled home at about 8mph

I'll of had it 3 weeks yesterday so it's about due to go back for its post-sale service.

Never had this problem with my other bikes but then I'm not familiar with the type of headset on the Izoard.

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Did you undo the bolts that attach to stem to the head first?
  • Lagavulin
    Yep, loosened stem bolts first.

Typical of my luck at the moment. I felt good this morning and I'm off work tomorrow as well. The prospect of two decent rides out of the window. My other bikes front calliper is playing funny buggers too. I can see me going out on the MTB.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly -try putting an extra spacer under the top cap - it may be bottoming-out on the top of the steerer. If that doesn't work, are you using a bung in a carbon fork steerer? Some don't grip too well e.g. the FSA with the carbon top cap - try a different one. It that still doesn't work, then suggest that it's either due to incorrect assembly (unlikely) or the cups / bearing seats not being square.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Lagavulin
    Hmm, not entirely sure Monty. :oops:

izzy_hs.jpg

This is essentially it with an FSA top cap that screws onto it (if I can get my PC's bluetooth to work for more than 8 seconds I'll be able to post a couple of other shots I took).
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    IIRC when using a bung in a carbon steerer, the bung is used to strengthen the steerer tube and isn't used to "tighten" the headset. The action of "tightening" is carried out by the stem pressing down on the spacers/ top cap.

Both my bikes have this arrangement and both stems need cranking down from time to time to eliminate play in the headset.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds interesting as it was fine in the morning.

Aheadsets all work the same way,the top cap presses on the steerer which causes the bearings to be preloaded.

in this case, presuming that the bearings are still in good order, either the bung was not fitted tightly enough and has slipped up the steerer (or was but over time has slipped) and is now causing bthe top cap to bottom out on it before loading the bearings.
    Or the top of the steerer is not far enough above the top of the steerer tube and the top cap is now pressing on the top of the steerer again stopping the bearings being loaded.

So refit bung and tighten making sure of the clearances to allow proper preloading.

If that fails then your bearings have decided that that is it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lagavulin
    nicklouse wrote:
    So refit bung and tighten making sure of the clearances to allow proper preloading.
    i.e. unscrew the top cap from the bung sufficiently? :?

(sorry Nick, I'm a bit of a tool when it comes to this stuff :oops:)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lagavulin
    no probs have a look at these pics.

first make sure that the plug is far enough in so that the top cap does not bottom out on it or the top of the steerer tube.

tns06.jpg

then make sure that there is a gap when the steerer is fitted add another spacer to make sure there is plenty of gap..

fork11.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown