Time to say good bye to the pie

Bossangel
Bossangel Posts: 164
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
I cant believe how unfit a person can become in 18 days. In this time my dog got run over and I have been caring for the dog not going out on my bike and eating lots of pie and chips, kebabs and KFC, takeaway curry and chinese. Put on half a stone in 18 days, not bad huh? not bad is an understatement. I wasn't superfit before but i was fair, My last ride before today on the 9th of june i managed:
13.5 mile over the ridgeway IN 1HR 18 MINS 1 SEC
AVG SPEED 10.4mph
MAX SPEED 30.8mph

TODAY I RODE AND MANAGED AN APPALING
16.64 MILES IN 2HRS 20 18 SECS
AVG SPEED 7.1MPH
MAX SPEED 36.8MPH

How can a person degenerate so fast.
No more fast food for me for a while I am disgusted with myself :?
Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Fast food is the thing that does it, we 'treat' ourselves to one burger or KFC a month, started of once a fortnight and went from there.

Now we hardly bother.

We don't buy so called 'ready meals' either, it's often quicker and certainly cheaper to cook from scratch, once you get the hang of it.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    At least all those pies made your max speed better down the hills!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I know the feeling, I've lost 10 kg since Christmas. My son was born on the 20th May. I've managed to keep riding (though not as much as I'd like) but I've been shovelling the food down and put 2kg back on :evil: .

I think most of it's comfort eating due to sleep deprivation. They linked lack of sleep to obsetiy in school kids recently. I think the trouble is when you're tired your defenses and will power are at an all time low so you give in more easily. I also find I'm starving when I come home from work. Strangely the days I get out on my bike the hunger pangs go and I can wait until my tea without snacking. The days I don't go out the hunger pangs get me and I end up snacking until tea :oops: .

Still need to lose a few KGs to get down to my goal weight, just have to try harder (still quite pleased at losing all that weight since Christmas though :D ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I find the problem is if i go out for a ride, the excersice & fresh air makes me more hungry so I end up eating more, so my weight stays the same :roll:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • pdrolo
    pdrolo Posts: 127
    Bossangel wrote:
    I cant believe how unfit a person can become in 18 days. In this time my dog got run over and I have been caring for the dog not going out on my bike and eating lots of pie and chips, kebabs and KFC, takeaway curry and chinese. Put on half a stone in 18 days, not bad huh? not bad is an understatement. I wasn't superfit before but i was fair, My last ride before today on the 9th of june i managed:
    13.5 mile over the ridgeway IN 1HR 18 MINS 1 SEC
    AVG SPEED 10.4mph
    MAX SPEED 30.8mph

AVG SPEED 7.1MPH
    MAX SPEED 36.8MPH

How can a person degenerate so fast.
    No more fast food for me for a while I am disgusted with myself :?

Theres been a lot of headwinds about this weekend - that will slow any cyclist down - no matter how fit.

(Feel better now ?- get the pies out then !)
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Bossangel wrote:

To be fair, I reckon we were stopped for over 20 minutes of that - mainly picking grass out of rear cassettes.
  • colsa
    colsa Posts: 50
    You will get your fitness back in no time Boss, good on ya though for sacraficing to look after your dog, hope hes better soon.
  • timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    I know how you feel haven't rode in 19 days with going to festivals and eating and drinking to much went out today and did 15 miles it killed me feel abit better now after it though.
  • Bossangel
    My dog used to come out with me on the bike, she'd do 15-20 miles easy enough til she got run over. She is well on the mend now though could be 2 months before she can run again.My plan is to ride twice mid week and one long one the weekend and try and break my way back to being at a fitness level which i was happy with, Saturday felt like i was breathing through my backside i was panting so hard. And to top it all i got back from the ride saturday night and my wife had saved me some kfc lmao
  • Bossangel
    so i'm sat in my lorry waiting to load. Thinking of tomorrow nights ride that forgetrafe has got planned. It sounds designed to remove fat from body. 22 miles 1700ft ascent's. I'm just wondering if my packed lunch could be part of the problem. 2 parties 1 bacon egg sandwich 1 bag of nuts 2 bananas and 2 kiwi fruit
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    Do you folks ever balance out the trail rides with road riding? I found that XCing just wasn't enough, probably because the rides I did weren't challenging, but since I've included two or three 30 mile roads trips into the week, my stamina has rocketed and my recovery rate is greatly improved too.

Don't want to ramble on about road riding but it should be a consideration IMO.
  • forgotrafe
    Don't mention road riding to Bossangel!

I ride a bit of road as well as XC, started because my brother signed me up to do London to Paris (180 miles in 2 days!) last year. But found I enjoyed the variety, the fitness built up easier (as you say) and it meant I could actually cycle from home to somewhere (usually somewhere that did food!) which was different.

That was on MTB (with slicks fitted for Paris). But I've now bought a lovely second-hand (but mint) 2007 Genesis Day 02 hybrid because my brother's now signed me up for Cork-Galway in September (190+ miles in 2 days! with the atlantic/irish weather).

But like I say don't mention tarmac to the Bossman.
  • stumpyjon
    Probably depends on where you live, round where I live it's very hilly. My local loop at 8.7 miles has 900ft of ascent in it, I've just added another 2 miles and it's increased the ascent to around 1100 ft. Generally for about 10 miles of riding I clock up around 800 to 1000 ft of climbing, can be more, another local loop of 12 miles has 1600 ft of climbing in it :oops: .

So an average 10 miles XC around where I live is going to be more challenging than an average 10 miles XC in Lincolnshire.

• mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Probably depends on where you live, round where I live it's very hilly.

You can say that again. Sounds like you live in the Alpes!
  • Bossangel
    i would rather have my testicles nailed to the door then nancy about on tarmac. I'm a lorry driver and consider road bikers a hazard should be banned. I just don't see the attraction in it. Its like posing for all the world to see. There's no thrill or adrenaline rush. My lunch box should be holding pasties not parties dear boy
  • forgotrafe
    Two pasties, a bacon&egg sarnie and nuts. I'm no nutrionist, but I think your lunch box might be a bit heavy on the fats :)
  • Bossangel
    that would explain it, just about to make sausage casserole and mash potato's mmm delish. I'm looking forward to the ride tommorw, need to burn those fats off
  • stumpyjon
    You can say that again. Sounds like you live in the Alpes!
    Not quite, just the Pennines. My house is at 1150ft and it still seems like which ever way I go out is up hill. It is good mountain biking though, just need to get to basic level of fitness before you start enjoying it, there's no such thing as an easy ride around here :lol: :oops: .

• timeless1
    timeless1 Posts: 28
    Since doing that ride on monday been hardly able to move my thighs been killing me haha wish the weather would settle down so I can go out just for a easy ride to try and loosen up haha
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    forgotrafe wrote:
    Two pasties, a bacon&egg sarnie and nuts. I'm no nutrionist, but I think your lunch box might be a bit heavy on the fats :)

no he's a trucker thats called a trucker lunch, :wink:

i ride both road (road to commute to and fro work 6 mile each way) and off road granted off road is way more fun but i have to agree with the mix it does improve fitness and stamina,.
    i to lost my edge over christmas a retired the bike to the shed and used the car to commute i then stripped the bike down to replace the drive train was off the bike for around 3 weeks then i had to use up my hols at work so that resulted in me having another 4 weeks off, in total i had 7 weeks out of the saddle in 3 months,

when i started to cycle to work again i struggled i had not put on any weight just lost my fitness big time i was adding 3-4 mins on to my time it took me a few months to get back to my prev times..

just be patient you will get there and try to put as much time in-in the saddle as possable bite the bullet and go on the road to it will help you,. and become the first truck driver in the uk to eat a healthy dinner :P
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    stumpyjon wrote:
    So an average 10 miles XC around where I live is going to be more challenging than an average 10 miles XC in Lincolnshire.

Don't need to tell me that :cry:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Bossangel
    well mrs bossangel was late back from work so didn't get to play with the riding chums, however went out for a short fly round the local trails and I saw the most bizarre bike ever, A lefty, I thought forget rafe was rambling mindless rubbish when he spoke of a bike with one fork but now i have seen one. Also my sports tracker on my nokia phone reckons i clocked 53mph er i dont think so.
    So i managed 8.83miles in 48:30
    speed avg 10.9
    max speed 53.7mph(yeah right)

so i wonder what the big mother trucker will have in his lunch box tommorw
  • Bossangel
    can't seem to kick the pies no matter how hard i try, i have exchanged the morning bacon buttie for a bowl of porridge though