Bars, Stem and spacers refit

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've got the bars, stem and headset spacers off my bike in order to fit a new bar and stem. Whilst I've got it apart, I'm tempted to replace the old alloy ones that came with the bike (it was originally a Giant XTC SX) with some carbon M:Part spacers, same as my cyclocross bike. Is there likely to be any issues in doing this? The Aheadset is a relatively basic Cane Creek model - can't really afford to replace it at the moment. It seems to have been reliable so far though and goes back together pretty easily.

The new bars are Truvativ Team Carbon riser bars - I'm wondering if lockon grips can be used with carbon bars? I'm not sure it's a good idea. I'm also wondering about experimenting with using bar tape like Liam Kileen. Sadly I'm not quite the racer he is, but the build is becoming more racy! :lol: It seems quite appealing and just holding the ungripped bars in my gloved hands feels comfortable size wise.

Finally, I'm also just wondering if anyone thinks there's likely to be any problems using bar ends with those bars given the aluminium end caps? I'm worried about the force climbing out the saddle with bar ends will put on the bond between the end cap and the carbon.

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No issues using cartbon spacers.

As for the bar ends, I'd check with a dealer. Grips will be fine.
  • 100%
    Thanks for the info. I'll try and get hold of the suppliers or contact Truvativ's technical or warranty departments.

Anyone tried using good quality bar tape on their MTB?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • 100%
    Hmmm,

Oddly I'm having real trouble getting the new carbon spacers onto the fork steerer tube. They're the correct 1 1/8" size, as is the RockShox Reba steerer tube, but they seem to be an incredibly tight fit, and around 1mm smaller that the previous spacers from the old set up.

Is it normal for them to be this tight?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope. something is wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 100%
    Another inspection leads me to the conclusion that the M:Part carbon spacers are either very slightly smaller - but not the 3.175 difference that would mean 1" spacers in 1 1/8" packet - or not quite round. I don't have a tool to measure the exact difference, but I can see some daylight when I sit it on top of the steerer tube, and I can see it's slightly smaller compared to the old spacers.

It seems to be affecting both the 5mm and 15mm spacer so I guess I'll take em back to the shop. Could be a faulty batch - I imagine they're manufactured from one long piece of tube chopped up.

Thanks for the confirmation there was a problem Nick, I starting to wonder what was going on.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Now that you say that they are of an oval shape they could have got warm and pressed in transport.

But they should be an easyish push fit. It has been years since i have had to use a "helper" on any spacers.

i would return them and have a quick test before leaving with the new.

Also just double check for burrs on the top of the fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've recently put M:Part carbon spacers on a Reba Team steerer with no trouble (and had them off and on again), as Nick says something not right with yours. Ask for a replacement.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result