Headset Queries

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just cleaned and re-greased the 'cane creek' headset on my '07 rockhopper and I can't quite get the plastic top cone back in as far as it was before. I've followed the procedure on Park tools but it just says to slide the cone back over the steerer tube to centralize the bearing. Is there a tried and tested way of driving the plastic spacer further down without the official park tools? I have tried a hammer and screwdriver but this appears to just dent the cone! :oops:

I have also ordered a replacement headset (FSA Orbit MX) from CRC and I was wondering if anyone knows of a tried and tested way of removing and refitting the crown race from the fork tube? Again, I have read Park tools but do not have a punch tool (for the alternate method) and I don't really want to damage the steerer tube too much.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Preloading the headset when adjusting should put the cone in the coreect position.

Getting the crown race off: screwdriver and hammer can do it, or sharp stanley knife. But be very carefull not to damage anything.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    sharp stanley knife? how would that work, wouldn't the blade break when you try to lift the race up off the stem?

How would you recommend preloading the headset? I think it's what i've done but I get the top bolt (in the star-nut) very nut to the point where I can no longer turn it with a hex key and it still doesn't appear to be as it was before removal.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You have to slowly work around with the knife, loosening it off.

Park Tools has a good guide on headset installation and adjustment. You must only turn the top cap bolt when the stem bolts are undone, or it wont adjust. It is a fine line between too loose and too tight - and when is correct you do the stem bolts up to hold the adjustment.