Best way to get chain clean

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited July 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
debating whether its worth to get a chain cleaner or not??

also what is the best degreaser to get to do my chain clean??

was looking at this cleaner, anyone used one??

Comments

• jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Here is my chain cleaning regime:

Remove chain, put chain in clean bucket or washing-up bowl, spray with good degreaser (I use Muc-Off's degreaser in the black aerosol can), leave for a few minutes, rinse off chain with hose, hold chain at one end and wipe chain down with rag until shiny. Then, and I kid you not, use cotton buds to push remaining gunk out of links. Replace and oil with quality chain oil.

That's how to clean a chain.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    definately worth it. Use a citrus degreaser.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Chain cleaners are good if you don't like removing the chain & for really filthy chains. I just use a SRAM power link so it's easy to remove mine. If you do it regularly it doesn't get too grimy anyway.
    I tend to put the chain in a coffee jar with fairy liquid & hot water, shake it every few minutes then leave it for a while, I then take it out & rinse it off before a go with muc off spray degreaser & a stiff brush, then wipe it off as well as I can before leaving it hanging up to dry, then put it back on & coat it with White Lightning/summer wet lube/winter.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Put chain in old drink bottle with some hot water and fenwicks degreaser screw top on tight shake bottle for a couple of minutes tip out mucky water refill with hot water shake keep repeating hot water till it comes out clean wipe chain dry with rag hang chain to dry
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    How often should you clean a chain, is there a set period of time,,, ie every week or month or year or just when it gets dirty?. just wondering has ive just got a new trance 2 weeks ago and ive been out 6 times and not yet cleaned chain.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • Larok
    I clean mine after every dirty ride or every two/three dry rides, then relube. Keeps it running smooth and hopefully problem free and for longer.
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Larok wrote:
    I clean mine after every dirty ride or every two/three dry rides, then relube. Keeps it running smooth and hopefully problem free and for longer.

Same here. Although sometimes cleaning the chain is the last thing on your mind after a grueling ride :?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    thanks for that, i obviously dont clean my chain enough lol, although hardly ever go off road.

im not overly keen on taking chain off as dont like to weaken it, think ill get myself a chain cleaner and a decent degreaser.

this may sound stupid but a spray degreaser aint going to work with a chain cleaner is it??

thanks in advance
  • Larok
    no, the liquid degreaser goes in the cleaner
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    thanks for that, i obviously dont clean my chain enough lol, although hardly ever go off road.

If you hardly ever go off road, maybe a routine of wiping the chain off with a rag, and lubing after every ride would keep the chain clean enough most of the time. The road/trail dust sticks to the lube so it's wiped off and replaced with clean lube for your next jaunt. Give it a good work over with degreaser etc when it gets really grimey
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Jpembroke, I do the exact same. :D Once clean, I tend to oil it while it's still off the bike, working the oil into every area with my hands.

I clean the chain after every ride too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    White spirit works absolute wonders, just don't let it sit on your paint for too long. It's also cheap as chips, £1.85 for 2 litres at asda.