BBC: Cyclists flout law 'to stay safe'

2»

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Bit of media analysis - the story on the radio was that "cyclists want to be able to jump red lights and go the wrong way up one way streets."

Completely unreasonable and makes cyclists look like complete ar5es.

WHY did they pick these two daft things out and ignore the sensible stuff like having better cycle lanes?

I cycle on a very short section of subway via a path every day. If I didn't, I'd have to cycle around an isanely dangerous roundabout (I've tried three times and nearly been hit each time) and would probably now be brown bread. The roundabout is where the local Police HQ is sited - not once has a copper questioned me.

I've emailed the council to ask them to make it legal to cycle under this subway but no answer yet.
  • The thing that I can't understand is why they didn't really go into the problems faced by the cyclist that can make cycle commuting hazardous.

The first part of the section had a very good piece of helmet cam clip in which a white van pulls out just in front of the cyclist. This was hardly even mentioned and then the cyclist is heavily criticised for having the cheek to ride past the que of traffic instead of waiting patiently.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    The thing that I can't understand is why they didn't really go into the problems faced by the cyclist that can make cycle commuting hazardous.

The first part of the section had a very good piece of helmet cam clip in which a white van pulls out just in front of the cyclist. This was hardly even mentioned and then the cyclist is heavily criticised for having the cheek to ride past the que of traffic instead of waiting patiently.

Exactly .. they also didn't point out that if you try and filter on the inside of stationary traffic , drivers will intentionally pull into the kerb to stop you, and again the anti bike b/s rhetoric that dondare keeps spouting only adds fuel to the media's propaganda machine.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I am not anti-bike. I am very pro bike, but I am anti-bad cyclist.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    I cycle on a very short section of subway via a path every day. If I didn't, I'd have to cycle around an isanely dangerous roundabout

There is a third option, you could always walk your bike over it...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    "Bad cyclists are seen as representative of cyclists in general, bad Motorcyclists are seen as representative of Motorcyclists in general, bad lorry drivers are seen as representative of lorry drivers in general, bad motorists are seen as representative of motorists in general, and so on.

I know this is what some people do, but it's not right is it...

It's predjudice.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Cyclists suffer more from prejudice because we're in the minority.
    This post contains traces of nuts.