Hardcore hardtail - which one?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited June 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys and gals,

I need some advice on getting a new bike. I have around £700 - £1000 to spend on a heavy duty hardtail. Im maily gonna use it for XC but am starting to branch out into jumping and lite downhill. So something that handle small jumps, and a bit of downhill and general having fun on a bike but still go uphills.

the only thing i know is a specialized p. all mountain. any comments and suggestions welcome.

thanks in advance, jai

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    one of the guys where i work has a p all mountain and its a nice thing, heaviest bike ive ever touched though, im not sure i would want to ride it up anything!!

if i was after a tough hardtail, i would look at this but im not sure its much of a jump bike but would handle a bit of air time:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... d-08-30966
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Orange P7?
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    when I get around to it, i'll write a few things up about my new Merida Trail 550, which is has same frame as bike sheepsteeth mentioned. I think the Merida's are a bit of a bargain to be honest.

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_GB/Bikes.Detail.23

bottom line is a lot of bike for your money. So glad I went for this over the P7 - lighter, better spec and way cheaper.
  • Anonymous
    rhysd, do you think the merida lives up to its claims as a hardcore trail bike? it certainly seems equipped for the task and if anything, i think it is a much better looking option for folks looking for a tough rig.
  • RhysD
    RhysD Posts: 105
    well I have only had it a week, and managed 3 rides, but yes, I am very happy with it so far, looks like everything you would want in a hardcore trail bike.

when i have more time, i'll take a load of photos and write more. i went all round the houses making my decision, wanted a real "all rounder". I was intending to spend around £900 originally, if my firm signed up for cycle to work scheme, but they let me down and would not after 5 months of waiting, so had to go a bit cheaper....

i did look at the P7, but really thought it was overpriced, and then all the scare stories about the dropouts nailed it for me. can't believe if you talk about P7 someone will always say "bombproof". Bombproof does not entail checking your back wheel is attached after every ride, to me!
  • Anonymous
    wel, i think there would be some value in posting your finding as the hardcore hardtail is a popular genre at the mo and everyone thinks the p7 is the holy grail (its good but not that good in my opinion)
  • jairaj
    Rhysd,

the merida looks like a nice bike with some desent comopenets. The review said is was quite a fun bike with great handling, didn't say much about its bombproofness.

How do you find the frame? Will it handle a bit of abuse?

Im not looking to launch it off massive drops or any world cup standard downhills, but would like to get a bit more air time and onto more challenging routes.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Norco Sasquatch
    Kona Five-0 (if you can get one)
    Orange Crush (if you can stretch to a 1-er)
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • jairaj
    From the bike radar review of the Norco Sasquatch it seems a bit too heavy duty, tho the Orange Crush looks like it has a better balence for my needs.

Any one riden the Orange Crush?
  • jairaj
    Just got the new issie of what mountain bike and they have a good review on the saracen zen. Any one got of these? any comments apreciated.
  • wop
    wop Posts: 41
    I had a zen2 for ages, awesome bike.
    Loads of fun!

Consider...
    On-one 456 / inbred
    Marin b-17 / rockridge
    Dmr trailstar / exalt
    etc...

Weight v Price etc

Steel or Alu?
  • turnercraig
    turnercraig Posts: 537
    How about a Genesis Core 40?

I have had mine now for about 3 weeks and I'm very impressed. It has great spec for £900 and looks great!

The Rockshoks Recon fork is adjustabe between 85 to 130mm, so you can keep the travel short for XC and then set it to 130mm for serious singletrack. It is also very lite.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I have a p. All Mountain. It's actually not that heavy, though people seem to think it's going to be. The guy in the shop where I bought it seemed suprised to pick it up and find that it felt a similar weight to the Rocky Ridge. I'm pretty sure it's lighter than the B-17. It's a great jumper and I've tweaked it a little for the trails (15mm longer and lowered stem). It's a bag of fun for a few hours around somewhere like Swinley. I'm going to take it to Wales and see how we get on with the trails, though I'll be picking the ones with less climbing...

I was sorely tempted by a Genesis Core as well which is of course lighter and must be better for xc.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    I've heard good things about the 'Zen' too.

I have recently got myself a 'Marin Rocky Ridge' and can vouch for that model...it's a great bike, and not that heavy.

If the 'P7' is the same weight as the 'Rocky Ridge', then I wouldn't be too concerned with regards to that issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Saracen Zen would be my top choice closely followed by Planet X 456 (if you can get one). The Saracens are alu. but a steel one is available and the Planet x is steel.

Don't get an Orange - they are a rip off imo.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    ^^ The above is now actually called an On-One 456. Thought I'd point it out to avoid confusion. The Zen is a lovely bike, as is the Rocky Ridge although you'll have trouble getting hold of one.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • passout
    Good point - One One
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jairaj
    any one know what bikes the guys are using in the hammering hardtails sections?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/technique-hammering-hardtails-ii-16848[/img]
  • passout
    COVE maybe? Not sure.
  • Anonymous
    the light blue one ridden by the giant rder is a giant stp i think, i remember seeing it in another aticle which described that it had been set up as a 4x bke, nice looking imo
  • Best bargain out there. I have had one for 10 months and it is bullet proof. Started doing a little jumping and light downhill and it soaks it up. I have changed a few things for vanities sake and powder coated it black. I love this bike, the frame is amazing and you won't get a better spec.

But I am biased :D
  • Jaydizzle
    Jaydizzle Posts: 1
    Check out the Felt Trail shot just rode one its pretty sick.