what new wheels should i get??

damonlock
damonlock Posts: 170
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
hi i have a kona dawg deluxe with FSA XC-300 Wheelset which in 5 days of riding the rear freehub is on its way out dont know weather its how i ride or if im to heavy or if they are just crap??

so i am looking for at least a new rear wheel for now and would like some advise please

cheers

Damon

Comments

• sweenball
    sweenball Posts: 188
    get some sun rims or halo rims
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How about a new freehub?
  • damonlock
    i just dont think the fsa one is upto it i would just put new hub in wheel but it is 24 hole and i dont know of any others that are
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A whole new hub would require a complete rebuild of the wheel, and more than likely new spokes. It is a lightweight wheelset, but at 230 quid you'd expect the freehub to last longer than 5 days! Maybe it just needs a service - is it still under warranty?

If you were to replace them, what budget, and would you want a heavier duty set for heavier riding?
  • damonlock
    well i have allways used a hope mavic combo before and they have never let me down weather it be trials downhill or free ride but now im a bit out of touch and dont know what is what
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Very shortly I'm going to be selling a pair of hope pro II / mavic xm719 / planet x titanium QR's / SRAM PG980 32-12 cassette. had 2 laps of cwmcarn and thats all.

on the other hand it seems crap its gone after 5 days any change of warranty etc?
  • damonlock
    not sure would of thought so but it means sending back to wales which is inconvenient due to cost and the time without the bike
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    damonlock wrote:
    not sure would of thought so but it means sending back to wales which is inconvenient due to cost and the time without the bike
    well you'd be without a bike no matter what you do if its already broken. could be a whole lot cheaper getting it fixed under warranty compared to buying a new wheel. least you're not having to send it abroad.
  • damonlock
    well you'd be without a bike no matter what you do if its already broken. could be a whole lot cheaper getting it fixed under warranty compared to buying a new wheel. least you're not having to send it abroad.

yer i know what your saying at the min ive put an old wheel from my trials bike in so i can still ride which is the most important thing lol