Swapping brake and gear levers round

forgotrafe
forgotrafe Posts: 637
edited June 2008 in MTB general
When on MTB training day earlier in the week, it was suggested that I move my brake levers were more towards the headset. That way I could ride with just my index fingers on brake levers (hydraulic disc brakes).

Means swapping gears and brake levers round but I can manage that I'm sure.

Thing is I can't recall why they said it'd be better like that! At the moment I ride with index and middle finger on brake lever. Anyone on here done such a mod and can reveal the benefits?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ride what feels best to you! Having more fingers on the bar does increase control, but if you don't have very well modulated and powerful brakes then two or even three fingers on the brakes can be better.

Not sure why you would have to move the brakes inboard of the shifters - I often use one or two fingers, no swapping needed! But again, experiment, see what feels best.
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I put my brakes inboard of the shifters when I swapped to XT shifters a few months ago.

Being able to switch gears without moving my hands on the grips and braking with my first two fingers feels much more natural and controllable than before the change.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I've got some pretty powerful brakes on my bike so can fairly happily ride one finger only even on some nasty downhills. It came with the brakes outboard of the gears but i swapped them around.
    Depends on how powerful your brakes are i'd say and if you really need two finger braking. more control of the handlebars i feel with one finger.
  • forgotrafe
    dirtbiker100 - I think that was instructors reasoning. My discs are powerful enough to be operated with one finger - but I can't fit hands on bars with just one finger on brake lever.

Will move it all around and see if I like it...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i ride with my brakes closer to the stem than the shifters and have them moved far enough that my index finger falls naturally on the end of the lever.

i find that in this configuration i can keep all of my hand wrapped around the grips and cover the brakes at all times with one finger, this in turn gives me confidence and helps me control the bike better.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i ride with my brakes closer to the stem than the shifters and have them moved far enough that my index finger falls naturally on the end of the lever.

i find that in this configuration i can keep all of my hand wrapped around the grips and cover the brakes at all times with one finger, this in turn gives me confidence and helps me control the bike better.
  • forgotrafe
    Thanks sheepsteeth. Have moved things round and it does indeed feel more natural.

Wasn't going to bother because I thought the grips would be a PITA to remove. But then I read something from Nicklouse (I think) about using compressed air. My grips were off in about 2 seconds!

Off for a ride later to see what's what. Made numerous changes to bike after my instruction so need to see if they're improvements or not.