Frame I D?

simocal
simocal Posts: 2
edited July 2008 in Road general
Can you identify a frame from the serial No.?
HA 0001846 vertical stamping on seat tube
Other clues - BS BB
No bottle, cable or other braze ons.
Steel and flat steel dropouts - not cast
No insignia or evidence of badges
Probably 60s ot 70s.
Cheap probably??
I can supply a couple of pics (if folks think it worthwhile)once I get the hang of this forum lark.
Thanks

Comments

• Pullman1937
    Pullman1937 Posts: 101
    If the serial number is on the back of the seat tube just below the seat lug it is a Raleigh frame. The dropouts will be stamped and rear dropout will not have a gear hanger. Check the OLN (Over Lock Nuts) spacing between the rear dropouts. It will be either 120mm or 126mm and more likely to be 120mm. If 120mm you have the basis of a cheap fixer not lightweight but a heck of a lot better than some of the cheap and nasty bikes around. If the lugs are shaped as opposed to plain they will be machine cut 'crespera' lugs.

The only thing you need to check is the headset and bottom bracket threads. They may well be Raleigh 26TPI as opposed to British standard 24TPI. Try Freemans Cycles or Mick Madgett who may be able to help with suitable headset and sealed bottom bracket. If you use a threadless (sometimes called a repair Bottom Bracket) BB you won't need to worry about the threading of the BB shell. Freemans do them in a range of sizes.