Roof rack for car (well 4 x 4)

Elmer_Fudd
Elmer_Fudd Posts: 3
edited July 2008 in MTB general
Am looking to get a roof rack for my 4x4 so I can get out a bit further from home on my bike. Just realised that lifting a bike that high may need a few sessions at the gym?

Does anybody here transport their bike on top of a 4x4? Do you find it easy getting your bike on or off? i.e do you carry a small step ladder with you?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed before I shell out on some new kit....

Comments

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    do you have a towbar?

could be easier getting a 3 bike carrier for that. the thule one is awesome and works a charm.

If not, im sure it wouldnt be too hard to get the bike up there. if you do go thule, the easiest carrier ive used!
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I use one with a Toyota Rav4 and it's fine. I open a rear passenger door and stand on the sill. Easy with a nice light road bike, bit trickier with the lady's heavy old mountain bike, but still doable. Thule (the cheaper black ones) get a big thumbs up from me.
  • AdeC
    AdeC Posts: 7
    agree with heez. Tow bar or spare wheel mounted much better for a 4x4.

My freelander has the aerodynamics of a piano. Stick 2 MTBs on the roof and that would be like hanging a parachute off the back. At least on the tow bar mount they dont affect the MPG too much.
  • starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    I have a lwb pajero, so my bike goes in the back, but i can easily put it on the roof as some have a ladder on the back of them. easier to get a rack on the back tho. if you have a spare wheel on back door, get a rack to fit that.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Further to this,

I have a freelander which has a towbar, BUT does this not get blocked by the spare wheel which sits on the back, I have considered a spare wheel mount, BUT amazingly Landrover were one step ahead of me and welded a very expensive to replace plastic third brake light in just the place where the rear strap of this type of carrier would go.

SO I have them on the roof acting as a sail. 4MPG anyone
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • starsky007
    You can get a towball rack that bends out and away from the spare wheel and up level with the spare wheel. its just a towball rack with a bend in it to clear the spare thats all.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Roof bars plus stool or mini ladders (no seriously). Or a trailer.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • starsky007
    Just get a pajero long wheel base, put the back seats down and stick the bike in the back. simple. job done.
    thats what i do.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • Cheers all.

Have now looked at the tow bar option, but what with the fact that there is the spare wheel already hanging off the back, I don't really want to go and make the Shogun any longer by then having a bike rack sticking out the back.

Current thought is to buy a small set of steps, along with either the Thule ProRide 591 rack or the Atera Giro AF.

Has anybody used these? These seem to be the best two on the market?