Are we being ripped off?

2»

Comments

• Smokin Joe wrote:
    Spend three grand on fishing gear and people will say, "Wow, that must be really good gear".

Four grand on a Hi Fi and they will say, "Gee, I bet that sounds fantastic!"

Buy a bike for more than £199 and the response you get is, "All that on a bloody push bike - are you mad?"

Nope -- I would say ``Are you mad?'' in all three cases :) But that's because I'm permanently short of money, I guess. Nevertheless, even if I were as rich as Croesus, I just can't ever imagine spending these sums of money (not the £199, of course -- but the £2000+ the some people spend on a bike). Of course, that might be because I can't imagine what it's like to have a cash surplus.
  • dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I save £120 a month not buying a travel card and £X,000 not owning a car.
    If I take in to account the running costs of my commuter and the very occasional times I use my pre-pay oyster or almost never hire a car; then I could quite easily justify spending £3k on a bike. Unfortunately the cost of owning a house in London and miscellaneous Wifey handouts prevents me doing so.
    I would still mostly commute on my £300 MTB hack, so the layout would be almost entirely hobby related.