Riding with weight

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited June 2008 in MTB general
Ive got quite a lot of time off over the summer so I'm looking at doing a couple of mini expeditions in the Welsh hills, Camping out etc.

I will be carrying a 30ltr daysack with my kit in, sleeping system, cooking kit, food and so on, so with this in mind do I leave the sag adjustment on the rear shock as it is or re-adjust it wearing the weight I will be carrrying on the ride?

Cheers. :wink:
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as the instructions say set the sag in normal riding attire.

reset it and the fork to what will be your normal riding attire.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    really? I thought you would surely have to set sag with the weight you'll be riding with else your gonna be running too much sag? What am I missing?
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • danhx
    danhx Posts: 165
    In Nicks round about way that is what he is telling you to do.

You + Kit = Normal riding atire. So reset sag to normal riding atire.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    alex.hulme wrote:
    really? I thought you would surely have to set sag with the weight you'll be riding with else your gonna be running too much sag? What am I missing?

I didnt get it either. I'll ask elsewhere I might get a more understandable answer
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • cypher
    cypher Posts: 6
    yep in this case you want to set the sag wearing and carrying what you intend to ride in so its you plus your rucksack and whatever you intend to carry in it.

its not particularily confusing.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    It was the 'normal riding attire' that got me as it seems to refer to what you would normally wear ie camelbak and not a 30lb tent bag. But yeh its clear as day now :wink:
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    I would just add the weight of the rucksack "full" to your weight and then use the manufacturers suspension set up guide using this weight.
  • taliesyn
    taliesyn Posts: 87
    scale20 wrote:
    I will be carrying a 30ltr daysack with my kit in, sleeping system, cooking kit, food and so on, so with this in mind do I leave the sag adjustment on the rear shock as it is or re-adjust it wearing the weight I will be carrrying on the ride?

Cheers. :wink:

Readjust your sag as per the recommendation in your bike manual, with you sitting on the bike with the daysack and all kit on.