Getting to great climbs

shfcook
shfcook Posts: 347
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
Want to have a weekend climbing some mountains in France. Anyone have any reccomendations for shortest routes (getting there by car) to good climbing areas in French Alps or other challenging ranges?

Comments

• For the Alps, but the Vosges or the Massif Central could also be an option for you - bit closer.

Calais to one of three places would be good for a weekend - Bourg St Maurice, Bourg d'Oisans or Barcelonnette.

Closest to UK - Bourg St Maurice is close to the Iseran, Roseland, Petite St Bernard and numerous ski resorts like Les Arc and Courchevel.

Bourg d'Oisans is close to Alpe d'Huez, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Glandon and Deux Alpes.

Barcelonnette is close to the Bonette, Allos, Champs and Cayolle.

Each location has some lovely climbs and will certainly keep you busy for a long weekend.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • shfcook
    shfcook Posts: 347
    Many thanks; I've seen that the Alsace option is probably Le Grand Ballon, there is a sportif route around this climb. Is this a good area for cycling generally?
  • RyanBrook
    RyanBrook Posts: 195
    I'd highly reccommend Bourg d'oisans. Its 600 miles from calais but well worth it. You are in the heart of the alps. It can be used as a starting point for dozens of rides. I'd reccommend going to the tourist office and getting the book with all the routes inside. It will be 10 euros well spent.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    shfcook wrote:
    Many thanks; I've seen that the Alsace option is probably Le Grand Ballon, there is a sportif route around this climb. Is this a good area for cycling generally?

Lived there for several years and the area is very good cycling country. It graduates from dead flat along the rhine valley to rolling through pictures postcard villages along the "route du vin" to long climbs in the Vosges proper. Roads great throughout. Strasbourg is a great city to explore and Colmar is worth a visit.

Generally very cycle friendly. I lived in centre of Strasbourg and there is dedicated (zero traffic) cycle route from there out 20km to countryside.

Only things it lacks are the really huge climbs like the Alps/Pyrenees. But still very challenging compared to UK. Grand Ballon is 13km at over 7%.
    Martin S. Newbury RC