new cranks

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2008 in MTB buying advice
i am finally fed up with my truvativ cranks coming loose on every ride, often only a couple of miles in. the same used to happen with a lower spec truvativ set i had before so i am thinking they are just she-ite as a brand (or am i wrong?)

has any one got any suggestions for a new set of cranks, i am thinking xtr but have noticed they are over 200 quid (they were alot less last time i was looking) so has anyone seen any xtr bargains, if not, what else is there about?

budget is upto 200 and i want 3 rings and 175mm crank arms. they will be going on the willow

Comments

• Anonymous
    Saint triple?
  • Anonymous
    i deffo fancy the xtr just cause of the low weight, good looks and fact that they are suitable for all types of riding (dont the athertons use 'em for DH?)

i reckon the saints would be too heavy and too heavy duty for my riding.
  • Anonymous
    XTR = 750g
    Saint = 1100g

One of the strongest there is, and not much of a weight penalty.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    i am finally fed up with my truvativ cranks coming loose on every ride

So it doesn't just happen to me! The other week my left crank (truvativ) came off as I was riding! This was despite tightening it only a week previous! Think I'm going to get some Loctite!

Bought a new bike since then and fitted an XT crankset and BB on to it. Fairly light at 853g and cranks feel really solid. Smooth turning action too. Very happy with it and only cost £100.

Stu
  • Anonymous
    i like the look of the newest xt cranks, and as you say, only 100 quid plus similar weight to the truvativs i have fitted.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Yes they look sweet! XTR are twice the price but are they really twice as good?!
    :)
    Stu
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    XT work well for me. Seem like the bang for buck item. Just think, you can wear one out and buy another for the price of the XTR .. !

00002032.jpg
  • Anonymous
    i like the logic, looks like i might be getting the xt ones then, any one know the best price for them? merlin do them fo 95 quid i think.....
  • Anonymous
    you can get the previous model XT hollowtech II for 79 quid.
    they aren't quite as sexy as the new ones though.

(I love the reviews on CR...
    "these cranks are crap, chainrings wore out after only 300 miles"
    well, get some new chainrings then, you fecking divot)
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I have new XTs on my bike and they are like all good components - you don't notice they're there. Well obviously you feel them on your feet but you know what I mean. :wink:
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Anonymous
    i couldnt agree more splasher, i find it hard to get to enthused about certain components (seat posts especially!!) but althouh one set of cranks will spin the same as any other, in my experience, the truvative sets just wont stay together whereas i have a set of older xt on the stumpy which run silently with no maint required and the same could be said for the set i use to run on my reign.

so far it looks like most folk think xt are my best bet and i am starting to agree.

Has anyone heard much about the aerozine ones from superstar?
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    I am thinking about new cranks and was fancying XTR. However, there is no way I can justify paying over twice the cost of XT for a weight saving of about 60g IIRC.

I would rather but the XTs and some other useful piece of kit.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    XT cranks must be the best set of cranks for a few years now and look even better

For £ 100.00p fab price and quality bit of stuff
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yeah...XT is good value.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    well, i finaly decided on good ol' xt and managed to treat myself to a few things with the change:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2233597/
  • ker ching, XT cranks and a shed load of of other bits or XTR and no bits? I know what I would be choosing.
    Xt cranks are spot on performance and looks wise.

good choice.