whats the best for a newbee at afan/glyncorrowg

beefy123
beefy123 Posts: 9
edited July 2008 in MTB beginners
new to mtbing but enjoying it all . going to afan to try it out any advice on which trail to start on .currently riding a scott hardtail but looking for a full sus the more i get into it. just cant wait for weekends and fresh air away from hustle and bustle. son comes with me and even the wife. what more could you ask for - no greif for being out all day enjoying yourself its great.

Comments

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I would probably suggest Penhydd as the most sensible trail to start out on.
  • beefy123
    thats great thanks i'll give it a go and let you know how i get on.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    yeah penFGHSGVSRT or whatever its called would be best. The wall's descent is pretty interesting for a newbie, Whites level is all over interesting and skyline comes in at over 45km i believe ha ha so definitely start at penDWTGASDF which is still a great trail for sure.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    There are some 'interesting' bits of all the trails!! Penhydd is a good starting point, I'd definitely either go for that or The Wall if you're a beginner. I wouldn't be too worried though, I went a couple of months back with some complete beginners and they coped with all the technical stuff OK, albeit quite slowly. Afan trails are great as you can get round most of it no problem but the faster you ride the harder it becomes 8)

White's is quite technical - i'd give the others a go before you attempt that one!
  • beefy123
    new shimano hydo brakes fitted this week really great .still trying full sus bikes out. starting to ride to work next week as i'm not able to get out as much as i'd like.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Penhydd definitely - it's a great trail which can be taken as slow or as fast as you like, and you'll get great enjoyment from it.

The Wall has a killer final descent (two really) - these could be overwhelming; the last thing you need is a big off when you're just starting out.

Whites is a good trail but plenty of people get unhinged by the shore-style wood sections; they're very exposed and can be tricky in the wind and rain.

At 46km Skyline is probably a bit of a push.

Have a good time at Afan, it's a brilliant trailcentre. They do an awesome sausage egg beans and chips too.