Windy or What?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I've just been riding down a long incline at around 18-19mph, when I was suddenly hit by a sustained gust of wind. After about twenty seconds it had brought me to a standstill!

Edit - the wind was of the atmospheric variety, before any smart Alec starts posting. :)
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I was on for a quick lap of a circuit I do last night and was certainly slowed by the wind on a couple of exposed sections. It was quite gusty and even from the side was off putting as it tried to blow me into the verge. What's happended to nice still summer days?

Gav.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I've just got back from a little 36km ride. I can't say I wanted to go out in this wind, but I'm doing an experiment on the effects of donating blood and cycling. Today's weather conditions are consistent with the ride I did before donation, so I really had to get out.

I was blown around so much I actually started to swear at the wind. It didn't help.

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Yep commute into a headwind has been rewarded with a commute home with a tailwinid, 3 days in a row.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    did a club 10, and what a head wind going out! but as GR.UB said, what a ncie tailwind coming back and some nice speed on the last few miles... until a car pulls out in front of me and i almost smack into him (thanks car driver for pulling over the bit of the road i am, even though you have just seen me approach and made eye contact with me!)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Gr.uB wrote:
    Yep commute into a headwind has been rewarded with a commute home with a tailwinid, 3 days in a row.

You're lucky :) I lost count of the number of times I rode to work into a 3/4 headwind from the SW only to witness the wind shift into the NW (or worse, N) ready for the slog home. Glad that's all in the past - there have to be some advantages to ageing.

It was very windy on Sunday in York. Quite a few display tents were flattened on Saturday night. We were staying in Nayburn and the only cycling we did was the 6 miles each way to the Knavesmire. The cycle track is quite sheltered so the return wasn't quite as traumatic as we'd feared but it was very gusty.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • I was blown around so much I actually started to swear at the wind. It didn't help.

I'm with you Pedro - bl&*dy wind really saps my energy.

My ride on Thu was a planned route which turned out to be 70 miles. However, my route planning did not include wind direction. Consequently, I spent a good deal of the return riding into the wind. To add insult to injury it rained for the last 15 miles!

Absolutely knackered by the time I arrived home & my average speed was only 15mph.

Still, skiving off work to get out on my bike is never time wasted.

Tricross Comp
    Ride On ...
  • Thought the October Man had struck on Thursday Dark Windy, not mention the rain :(
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    Couldn't get more than 36mph on a hill that usually gets you 45+mph. Certainly does claw out your energy!