Setting up Scott Ransom rear shock

Be4ch
Be4ch Posts: 24
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just got a Scott Ransom today and I'm having some problems with the rear shock. I've followed the manual and set up both negative and positive chambers and when I ride it, it feels fine. If I then check the shock again it seems to have lost pressure (a lot of pressure) and I have to pump both up again.

It seems to be worse in the negative chamber and it also appears to be down to the pump as when I screw it on/off you can hear air escaping and although I'm doing it quickly at such high pressure I think a fair bit of air is leaking out. Does this sound right and is it more likely a pump than shock problem? I literally took delivery about 2 hours ago after waiting for a month and would be gutted if it needs to go back.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is not losing pressure.

have a read. http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12562497
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Be4ch
    Thankyou very much. You won't believe me I did even use the search facillity and read a number of threads about Ransoms and Rear Shocks, etc, etc but didn't even see that.

Thanks again.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Negative chamber is smaller than the positive so proportionally more air escapes from it to repressurise the shock, hence the lower pressure.

Nearly bought a Ransom, but the complexity of the shock (and air at 300psi just below my wedding tackle :shock: ) put me off even though it felt plusher round the car park than the Stumpy I ended up with. At least I can give my Fox Triad a basic clean & lube.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Be4ch
    After all the faffing about with the shock I took it out tonight for a 'quick' ride. 2 1/2 hours later I came back with a huge grin on my face which made up for the trouble I was in with the wife for being so late for tea.....and not being around to help put the kids to bed.....or bath them :oops:

Damn good ride though!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    That's the way it goes, some nights it's kids night and some nights it's bike night. And the most important thing, the grin factor that both provide (need a being sick smiley).

Glad the bike gave you the grin factor.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Smokewhip
    Smokewhip Posts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Sure i know, but can it be replace Or the tube is stick to the whole suspension?? And where can i buy it??
    Thx
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ?
    Buy a new one.
    ?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools