Bennati out of TdF

Mar ge
Mar ge Posts: 88
edited June 2008 in Pro race
Due to achilles injury apparently...

Who is left to really fight for the green jersey ?

Zabel / McEwen / Förster.....

Comments

• GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Thor?

Freire, providing he can last the three weeks and Rabobank don't get themselves chucked out.

What about Hunter or Cooke from Barloworld? Hunter went fairly close last year remember.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    If Bettini was riding, he'd be a shoo-in for it!

As it is, Ciolek will sacrifice his chances leading out Cav in the 1st week. McEwen seems favorite if he can avoid disqualifications for once.

Strava is not Zen.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Cav's hinting he may ride beyond the first rest day
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well, he finished the Giro. Two GTs in 3 months is a lot to ask of such a young sprinter, though if he's wearing green, it might be extra motivation!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • moorjohn
    moorjohn Posts: 89
    Gert Steegmans for at least 1 flat stage, I reckon...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Thor v Hunter IMO. Thor gets stronger as the race goes on and the field gets weaker, Hunter did the same last year.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think Hushovd has to be there. In some ways the competition is a bit weak, no Boonen, Petachhi and now Bennati.

But it is a mountainous tour and someone who can pick up points during the other stages could be in with a chance, like Valverde. Keep an eye out for Zabel, he might not win much but he's often on the top-3 each day.
  • Mar ge
    Mar ge Posts: 88
    moorjohn wrote:
    Gert Steegmans for at least 1 flat stage, I reckon...

Is that how long you think he'll last in the Tour :)
    I'd love to see him do well but I fear he'll struggle horribly in the mountains.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    phil s wrote:
    Cav's hinting he may ride beyond the first rest day

I think his target is day 1 yellow and THR promotion then concentrate on the olympics and preparation - I'd have a sneeky fiver that in the next couple of years he will have a green jersey though
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I think Cav was originally going to skip the tour leading up to Olympics but hell probably just change his plan as it goes on. Everyone was hoping for a home win at Canterbury last year so this year there'll probably be less pressure
  • Kléber
    Day 1 has a hill finish, I expect Freire, Hushovd, Zabel and even Valverde or Cunego to be up there. Pure sprinters like Cavendish and Steegmans might struggle:

PROFILKMS.gif

Don't rule out Zabel for the green jersey. He might not win much these days but regularly finishing second, third and so on is what's needed.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I reckon Zabel's done for. He won't finsh this TDF unless he's on really good form in the first week and has something to race for. Who's his lead-out this year? Doesn't seem to have much of a team around him in my, albeit ,fairly uninformed opinion.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Ricco, Kirchen (certainly, if he's not serious about the GC) and other hilly classics guys, fighting it out with the strongest sprinters who survive the climb.

What makes it really interesting is that small gaps are bound to appear in the peloton.
    So, the GC lads will have to fight to stay in the front group, as well, or else lose vital seconds to their rivals.
    Could be a real bun fight amongst the teams, which may well end up in tears for anyone unlucky enough to find themself in a pile up.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    I know. The finish twists and turns a lot too. Expect carnage, you have to be up front to avoid crashes, which means everyone will try to get to the front, which means more speed and more crashes. It could be mental.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I think Thor for the Green, this isn't Cav's year with the olympics coming up. Zabel won't get many 2nds or 3rds, but will consistently finish 4th and 5th, but thats not good enough. McEwen might do well in technical finishes but he seems to have lost a lot of his jump.

Overall, seems to me that Thor has a very good chance of winning as he is consistent and can cope over the mountains.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live