fork travel?

GibboGT
GibboGT Posts: 287
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello, I'm currently planning on buying a gt avalanche expert with 85-130mm adjustable tora forks. Also been taking a look at the cube ltd team, so might give it a try, that comes with the 80mm recon forks.

basically what travel is good for what? 80mm seems pretty limited travel compared to most stuff that is out there?

What's it all about?

Comments

• GibboGT
    Ok so just read this, kinda clears things up a little.

Feel free to add opinions still though.
  • pllb
    pllb Posts: 158
    Hi - I bought a Cube Ltd Team back in June and just asked the LBS to remove the spacer in the Recon SL forks, this makes 100mm travel. Works fine, great bike for the cash!
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    I really like the Tora 302 with the adjustable travel, gives versatility for climbs, downhills etc The sweet spot is probably about 100mm though, depending on your weight & what springs in the fork. I leave mine at 130 most of the time, except for climbs where I wind it down to 85
    The later version is better cos you get lock-out aswell 8)
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • GibboGT
    Yeh it does have lock-out, had that on my old avalanche too, although never really used it. Even just riding pavements it felt a waste to have suspension and not use it :? :lol:

Doesn't look like I can get the cube anyways, so will still be with the gt.

cheers for the input.
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    You won't be dissappointed.
    I sometimes think that I would like the lock-out for road use, might be a bit faster, especially when accelerating you tend to bob a bit :lol:
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    I have the Rock Shox Reba Race, with U-turn. 85-115mm of travel. I keep it at around 100mm to match the rear.

When on flat or climbing I lock it out, (and rear too) makes it much more effecient.
  • hey atm im riding marzochi drop off comps with a constant travle of 130 ml and i freeride and downhill and that trAVLE IS FINE FOR ME
    you should set up your forks for what u wanna do eg low travle for if u wanna dirtjump and hight travle for downhill :D oh yeh and btw if ur riding street and a bit of dirtjumping you might wanna give the lockouta go just to see how it goes
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You will break a sus fork if you use it for any jumps when locked out unless it has a blowoff valve, in which case it will unlock itself anyway.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs