Adjustable Travel

grantelliott1
grantelliott1 Posts: 32
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm new to mountain biking and this is my first post, so excuse my lack of knowledge!

I've just received my new Mongoose mountain bike which is fitted with Rockshox Tora 289 forks. The spec says it has 45mm of adjustable travel, labelled 'U-Turn'. I can see an adjustment switch near the top of the fork, but can't work out what it does. Can anyone please explain to me how to adjust the forks and why you would want to do this.

Many thanks.

P.S has anyone got any tips for securing the disc brake cable to the fork or something as it seems to flap about as it's only connected at the actual disc at one end and the leaver at the other. Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    turn it one way to shorten the fork and travel. turn it the other way to lengthen the travel and fork.

Do you have a manual? if not download it from Srams Webby and have a read :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to clarify, if I shorten the travel, then the less the fork will move up and down i.e when riding on smooth roads?

And if I lengthen the travel, there will be more movement in the forks which will be better over rough terrain?

Thanks again!
  • nicklouse
    no. there is just less travel or more travel. Surface has nothing to do with it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • OK got the wrong end of the stick there.

Why would you want to adjust it though? What's the point of being able to have more or less travel if it's nothing to do with the surface.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    It's to alter the geometry of the bike a little to help climbing (wind the fork down) and descending (max travel).
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    it depends on personal use.

Also i was not being 100% correct as when you reduce the travel you do increase the spring rate a bit as the air volume in reduced.

why the travel chang you may want more for down hill and less for up hills.
  • Right I think I get it. When going up a hill you have less travel which makes it easier to climb as it's not bouncing about as much.

Does 'travel' basically mean then the distance that the fork can move up and down?
  • nicklouse
    travel yes.

the less travel when going up hill is not because of less bounce, thing more to what happens to the bike, it moves you forward over the front wheel allowing better climbing.

try it and see :wink:
  • Rightey thanks for all your help. Think that's the best thing to go out and have a bash!