Brake fluid on disc

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i think i have got brake fluid on my rear disc while bleeding it. Can it just be cleaned of with water or will i have to remove the pads and disc to clean them properly? I thoroughly sprayed it with a hose before going out but havent tested it yet, and cant till i get home later, and need to know if i need to strip everything out before going to bed.

Cheers,

Andy.

Oh and they are juicey 5's and i used dot 4 fluid.

Comments

• Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    In my experience (!) if its got on the pads you need to junk them and buy new ones. Clean the disk with meths.
  • andyturner28
    I didn't get fluid on the disc after all. Just been out for a quick ride and they just took ages to dry off for some strange reason :? Now much stronger than it was before.

Only problem now is that when i stand the bike up on the rear wheel and pull the lever several times, the lever goes right to the bar and the brake dosn't work at all. Dose that mean there is not enough fluid in the system? I pushed through the right amount of fluid, and not much drained out when i cut the hose shorter :? :?

Andy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you still have air in the system. mainly in the reservoir. keep bleeding.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Sounds like you've trapped some air in the system somewhere.

Check out this video off the Hope website it should point you in the right direction
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • andyturner28
    nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like you still have air in the system. mainly in the reservoir. keep bleeding.

Oh course, air rises :roll: Would it make it easyer if i do it with the bike standing on the back wheel, then just suck the air out from the lever without messing with the caliper again?

Thanks Rich, but Avid uses a completely differnet system to Hope. Their's looks easyer though! Nice bikes by the way :)

Andy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    attach syringe with some fluid in it and suck, pull plunger out. this will suck the air out and you will also be able to push fluid in. repeat until no air.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown