Triple to compact - Cost????

hothead
hothead Posts: 123
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Thinking about changing from a tripe (Tiagra) to a compact. Anyone have a idea how much this will cost?

Cheers

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    hothead wrote:
    Hi,

Thinking about changing from a tripe (Tiagra) to a compact. Anyone have a idea how much this will cost?

Cheers

You'll also need to change the rear mech. If you fit it yourself you'll get change from 100 quid, brand new.

Not sure I see much of a merit in changing from a triple to a compact though...
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    Garry H wrote:

You'll also need to change the rear mech. If you fit it yourself you'll get change from 100 quid, brand new.

Why would you need to change the rear mech? i run long cage mechs on a compact without a problem....
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garry H wrote:
    You'll also need to change the rear mech.

Nope the rear mech would be fine with a compact. The front mech perhaps would need changing.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    You'll also need to change the rear mech.

Nope the rear mech would be fine with a compact. The front mech perhaps would need changing.

I stand corrected. Why would the front mech need changing though?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garry H wrote:
    Why would the front mech need changing though?

Double and Triple mechs are different shapes, perhaps a triple mech would work fine on a double - I've no experience, but I'd probably change anyway, front Tiagra mechs are only what £15?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    Either way, £100 will get the job done - possibly including a celebratory beer & a biryani.
  • £150 for the whole groupset and flog the old one.

I have no experience of ATC though.
    If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG