How often do we change our Bikes?

tbeat
tbeat Posts: 119
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello all,
im still doing my biking on a 2001 spesh rockhopper pro, and it is still going strong, however i am thinking that over 7 years, would i notice a big change if i purchased a (new) similar priced model today?
mmmm disc brakes would be nice :)
Trev

Comments

• jimh_123
    jimh_123 Posts: 66
    Well I've just bought myself a new Spesh Hardrock Comp Disc version as my old bike was from 1995!!!!
    I cant believe the difference in my new bike compared to the old one. Obvious difference are suspension and disc brakes (which i highly recommend) But the main difference is speed! I'm flying both down and up hills. I've read in forums that my bike isn't the lightest and its hard to climb - you guys should have tried my old bike!

Dont get me wrong I'm still gona use my old bike. It can tackle everything I'm doing on my new bike. The reason I changed was that parts were getting worn out and finding replacement parts was getting kind of hard.

Dont know if you would notice much difference from a 2001 bike to a 2008 model. What about upgrading your old bike a sticking on a set of disc brakes? I heard the rockhopper pro was a well sound bike.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Here is one way of looking at it a 2008 Rockhopper uses the same frame material (M4 alloy) as my 2004 Stumpjumper does.

The amount of bike you get for your money gets better each year seven years will make a big difference.

£500 gets you an decent alloy frame, 27 speeds, hydraulic discs and a fork that works, a bike weight of about 30lbs
    £750 gets you this plus spds pedals a decent well damped fork and some lighter components, bike weight of about 27lbs
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've just bought an Orange G3 after about 15 years of riding a Univega rigid with XT/LX groupset.

There is a massive difference, the components are better, it has disc brakes and front suspension, it's a little heavier, but much easier to ride off road. Although on road to the trail is hard work, probably the tyre's rolling resistance

As mentioned above, one of the reasons i chhanged was spares avaliability and cost of repair over the value of the old bike..

Also I was fed up at getting rattled to death on the trails, so I love the front suspension!

My opinion is that you shouldn't change when the 'next thing' comes out, year on year improvements are small for similiar cost bikes.

Leave it for some time and you can really feel the improvements.

Personally, I buy a bike for longevity, not over the top spec, but decent, an one that should last 10+ before the cost of maintenance is over the value of the biike.

A mate of mine has a Hardrock rigid that is about 8-9 years old, he paid out for new transmission last year, when to me he'd be better off getting a new bike, now he wants a Rockhopper (non disc), he'd have been better off getting it this year, instead of repairing his old one

I was lucky that work do the cycle to work scheme, though 8) which enabled me to get somthing better than I would have and I hope it lasts for years
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Spares availability? you're talking cack. What components can you not get for your old bike that you can for a new one? :roll:
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Bought a Cannondale Delta V900 (first of Headshok) in 1991, sold it last year & bought my Spesh FSR XC Comp.

This year bought an Allez too. First road bike since 1988.

Can't say it'll be that long before I change a bike again, but I reckon I'll have the MTB for at least 2 more years before changing.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Rich Hcp
    Spares availability? you're talking cack. What components can you not get for your old bike that you can for a new one? :roll:

Nope, couldn't get new seatpost, had to stick with battered one

It gets to the point where changing components exceeds the value of the bike.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • toby_g
    toby_g Posts: 37
    well before my new purchase at the weekend (Cube AMS Pro 100), I had been using the bike I bought in 1996 (Giant ATX 840), ok been upgraded a lot since then to the extent that only the frame, seatpost, shifters and front derailleur remain from the original bike. the forks have gone through many changes: Rockshox Quadra 21R's, Judys, Marzocchi MX/Pros/Airs/Comps etc.
  • Anonymous
    Rich Hcp wrote:

Bullcrap. What size is the seatpost?
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    Between 5 and 10 years would seem reasonable. Maybe less if your maddd...
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Rich Hcp wrote:

Bullcrap. What size is the seatpost?

Older seat posts can be hard to come by. Im currently looking for a 22.2mm seat post for an old road bike and they seem few and far between.
  • Rich Hcp
    Exactly, can't remember which size it was , but couldn't find one at the time
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    Larok wrote:
    Between 5 and 10 years would seem reasonable. Maybe less if your maddd...

Sounds about right
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Anonymous
    22.2 mm? that's a toothpick not a seatpost.
    I've never seen a bike with a post that small.