Updating an older bike

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have had my Scott Boulder aluminium MTB since 2001. Since then I have changed quite a lot on the bike.

However it still uses V-Brakes which is fine but I am becoming increasingly jealous of the stopping power/control of some of my friends Disc brake based bikes. They seem to have more control on descents than I do. I have put this down to the fact that my brakes and levers (old Shimano LX jobs) might not be up to the task. Although it could their set up.

Anyway I since changing to discs would be an expensive process (new wheels etc) and I only have the mounts on my forks for discs I have been looking at the Magura Hydraulic Rim brake set. Does anyone have any experience with these? What are they like? And how do they compare with Discs?

I cant afford a new bike and there is nothing really wrong with my current bike except some of the components are getting on a bit now.

Also my Rock Sox Psylo XC forks (not factory fitted) give significant vibration when braking hard, is there anyway to resolve this?

Thanks!

Comments