Your thoughts on green?

MediatedEfficiency
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone-

Besides being a cyclist based in London, I'm also a MSc media researcher at the London School of Economics. I'm conducting a study on people who make so-called 'green' choices (like commuting by cycle) and how they receive and react to info on other environmental issues--particularly energy efficiency. I'm hoping you might be willing to help me out.

I've posted a brief web survey on the topic; it should take about 10 minutes to complete, is mostly multiple choice, and of course entirely anonymous. The link is here: http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=988583

Thanks for considering this! Happy to answer any questions before or after the survey; feel free to send me an email directly at r.cunningham@lse.ac.uk.

Cheers, Ryan
My current ride is a home-built alloy road frame with carbon fork with an old-school DuraAce component set that's been dusted off and shined up--a bit rough around the edges but still going strong!

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Done!
  • dang65
    dang65 Posts: 1,006
    I completed the survey.

I'm not that convinced about the link between cycling and environmental concern though.

I think most cyclists ride because:

a) they enjoy it
    b) it saves a lot of money
    c) it's quicker and more convenient
    d) it's good exercise

Somewhere after that might come a pleasant feeling that you're not wrecking the roads or making a lot of noise, but stuff like CO2 emissions don't even register with me to be honest.

I have four children and our house is an absolutely shocking power glutton - TVs and games consoles, lights on in several rooms at any one time, washing machine and dryer on for several hours each day etc etc. It would be hugely hypocritical of me to be smug about cycling while that lot was going on. Oh, and we've got three cars in our family, though mine is parked up and unused most the time.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Well I'm definitely trying to drive less, have two low C02 emission cars (ahem - forgetting the high emission speedboat but then you don't get taxed directly on them!), recycle, compost, grow our own veg + get a veg box delivered - stuff that's doable but not a complete pain.

One "green" mistake is Ecover - it doesn't actually work so you need to use three times as much!

Agree with Dang though - I mostly cycle for other benefits rather than being "green" - can't imagine making a bike from parts all over the World, shipping it to the UK, etc is exactly a green system.
  • A comment in passing as I head for the questionnaire, cycling isn't an unequivocally
    environmentally-friendly pursuit.

It's just one man's view but my guess is that a cross-section of cyclists will reflect the population at large in attitudes to issues that were once termed "green".

As for me, main reason I commute by bike is to save money that would otherwise go on petrol or bus fares. Side-effects: I'm fitter than I would be and I probably eat more to keep energy up (so bang to rights on food miles!)

Good luck with the research
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    There are two sides to environmental issues - the government and the people. The government does things (i.e. taxes) in the name of the environment, but they are nothing to do with it. Look at the tax on air travel that the Americans are complaining about. It is set to raise billions and the Americans are claiming it is about revenue and not the environment (which is how it was sold when it was announced).

Some people have environmental beliefs, but for most it is purely about money. Even if you do believe in helping the environment money is still a factor. Look at the cost and time to recover your outlay for solar panels. Its a joke. I tried to get a company to come to my house to tell me about solar panels. They refused to come unless both homeowners were present, as obviously they do a hard sell and want to make sure people don't use the excuse of having to consult someone else. They told me it was because they wanted to be able to tell as many people as possible..... I ended up hanging up the phone on them and have heard nothing since!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Survey done.

I paid an extra £4 for my flights to and from Italy last week to offset my carbon usage. Hope it's not just a revenue-making exercise and the money is ringfenced for the environment!