Getting to the front in races

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited June 2008 in Pro race
I've done a few TLI races this year, and have a few crits this summer. I've noticed that at the end I always feel pretty strong, but never seem to translate this into a good position. Best this year has been 12thish.

I just find in the final lap, everyone takes a run at the front and I end up getting stuck behind a bunch of slow people with no overtaking room. My last race last night I only managed 12th by attacking after the final corner when it strung out a bit, and overtook loads and loads of people, but couldn't reach the front 10 who were sprinting for the win.

Just wandering what I should do for my next race to get to the front for the sprint.

Any guidelines on whats best or should I just try attacking earlier on?

BTW Anyone here do the TLI in Yorkshire last night?
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

See the guy with the big legs who won the sprint last night? Get on his wheel for the last lap and stick to it like glue. Use your elbows to defend your position. He'll take you up to the front, then you've only got one man to beat ;-)

Cheers, Andy
  • off the back
    off the back Posts: 168
    There is no magic answer other than prcatice.

In short during the main part of the race there is less competition for the front of the bunch - so in next race practice staying in the top 10 riders for as long as possible. Dont worry about the win/result.

Also in Uk racing the riders will tend to move up on the outside right. So stay near the right to avoid being boxed in and whenever you loose 4/5 places slip out and move back up again to stay in top 10 position. At the end the activity at the front will be intensified and you will have to work a lot harder to hold a place. Don't worry if you slip back at the end due to tiredness (takes more effort to stay up) or some bad luck the main thing is just gain more experience in retaining position in a race.

When you improve your bunch positioning then concentrate on sitting further back (top 20) and saving energy for as long as possible and just using your bunch skills at the end. But to do this you need to practice first!

There are super riders (i.e. Tom Danielson) who are rubbish at holding their position. This means that he often is in bad position even on hilly stages and misses moves - so happens the best of them.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    If you're not a good sprinter and if you're strong enough, don't wait for the sprint, get off the front.
    Easier said than done, mind you! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Who actually won the sprint last night?

Saw the guy in yellow do a lot of attacks, same with the guy in all white who attacked a lot on the outside.

Offthebackadam I was hoping to have a go at an attack, but never really got the opportunity on the last lap, and don't really have the strength to just disappear off the front for a while :)

I tried to follow the young guy from Leeds Mercury as I know how strong he is at chaingangs, but lost him as he moved up the pack.

I was the guy with a white top and white oversocks in the middle group riding a focus cayo :)
    Who were you Andrew?
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    White oversocks. At least you're doing something right :wink:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    nolf wrote:
    Who actually won the sprint last night?

Who were you Andrew?

Hi there.

I was several hundred miles away in a doing 32sec/50m reps in a swimming pool...

But the sprints are usually won by guys with big legs!

Cheers, Andy