Lea Valley Cycling

melliff
melliff Posts: 63
edited July 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm looking at a map of the Lea Valley: http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/en/flash/documents/leevalleymap.pdf

For some of the way it shows the Lea Valley Walk and Lea Valley Path combined and for other sections, the walk and path diverge.

Has anyone cycled the whole route? What is the difference between the two routes? is is possible to cycle on the route marked as the Lea Valley Walk (the lilac dotted path on the map)?
Martin

Comments

• Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    I have often kayaked on the section from Bromley by Bow up as far as Stonebridge Locks in Tottenham.

I have also cycled the section from Waltham Abbey to St Margarets.

There are walkers and bikes sharing these sections at all times.

Cycling is no problem on either section. I seem to recallt that you are meant to have a cycling permit but to be honest I never did :oops:

The terrain is suitable for a mountain bike or tourer but not a road bike unless you want your fillings loosened up.

A cycle bell is quite handy unless you like scaring oblivious wa*kers (now should that be a L or a N? :roll: )
    Boy - that was close! Just about ready to nip off to Hertford to do this ride and never knew about the permit!

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Hi Arthur,

I am not sure you actually need one anymore...

http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-ri ... -in-london

Main thing really is to have a cycle bell and give it two tings to warn walkers that you are coming up behind them. Do that and no one will care about the rest.

Hope you enjoy your ride.

Gadge
    Hmm, I have one now and as I will be on the Lea proper at the North end and not just the Lea navigation (which is the bit that British Waterways London are responsible for) it seems prudent. I do not as yet, however, have a ting ting machine - will I need pink socks as well? :oops:

Arthur
    The Beastie

Sic itur ad astra
  • melliff
    melliff Posts: 63
    When you have done it, let us know what you think of it as a cycle route.
    Martin
  • You'll pass the Olympic site between Bow and Hackney Marshes. There are windows in the hoardings if you fancy a look. If you turn onto the Greenway you can see what will eventually be the main Stadium, and an extensive collection of site offices. The turning is quite subtle, it's next to a bridge with some huge(sewer)pipes underneath it, near Old Ford lock. The large house by the lock is the old Big Breakfast house.

Keep an eye out for motorcyclists on the towpath around that area, they won't be looking out for you.
  • shawn
    shawn Posts: 62
    I ride Lea Valley towpath a lot, you can follow it all the way round onto the Grand Union that takes you down to Wapping and the other direction through Angel and onwards.
    The other way you can end up in Hertford. It's a great route, they have resurfaced large portions of the towpath to be that slightly loose gravel on top of a permanent surface. Generally pretty good shape and friends have used their roadbikes but cross bike/tourer or mtn bike is more comfortable. Really easy to loop off into Epping Forest via Gunpowder park. You don't need a license, a bell is handy though. Fantastic route into London.
    There is a nice cafe at the boathouse in Springfield Marina as well as at the top of the Springfield park that makes a nice stop.
    Enjoy!