new frame

thatscold
thatscold Posts: 50
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
When I brought my bike I chose a 21 inch frame (Trek 6500), now having ridden a couple of hundred miles I realise that I should have gone for a 19 inch frame.

Should I sell the bike, or can I just buy a smaller frame and switch components? If a new frame is the way to go, do I have to stick to Trek or could I buy a different frame? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I was in a similar boat and just bought a new frame on ebay, selling the old one on. In my case it was an Avalanche I found too short, I sold it and got an older Stumpjumper HT. I came out quite nicely in profit after the whole thing as well.

Most bits you can fit yourself with next to no tools, gearing, forks, stem, bars, wheels, brakes, seatpost + seat etc. All can be done with a multitool really.

The awkward bits will be the headset (which requires pressing into the frame) and the bottom bracket/crankset (easy to do, mess it up and you can kill the frame though). If you find a frame with these 2 bits already fitted and in good condition it's a bonus.

One other thing of note, has your fork steerer got a few spacers on the top? You might find the head tube length different on a new frame, obviously going to a smaller bike it should be safe, one thing to bear in mind though.
  • thatscold
    Toasty your bike looks good in your pictures.

I'd rather get a new frame than sell my bike, I guess I'll keep my eye out for a good deal.

Thanks
  • toasty
    It's a bit of a gamble obviously, ask lots of obvious questions before you give them any cash, dents + deep scratches on aluminium frames can be the death of them.
  • thatscold
    Being new to all this, could you recommend some frames that I should look out for.

Many thanks for you advice.
  • toasty
    It depends what you're after, mid range bikes, such as the Trek 6500, Specialized Rockhopper etc will have a shorter top tube than top end bikes like the Trek 8000 or Stumpjumper.

Assuming you feel comfy I'd go for something similar to what you had. Mid range Giant XTCs would probably fit ok as well. A Trek would obviously be preferably as you know you get on with them and the current seatpost would fit.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Have you considered approaching the shop you bought it from and seeing if they'll part-ex it for a smaller bike? I've done this a couple of times with a shop I have a good rapport with. Obviously I didn't make any money like Toasty! However, I got a good price on both the bikes (in good condition) because I upgraded a bit each time.

I appreciate this won't be right for everyone but just a thought.
  • thatscold
    I brought the bike second hand so that a not an option unfortunately. I guess I'll check ebay and see watch available. Do Merlin etc have good deals on frames?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thing is, you could get a '19' inch frame, and if the manufacturer measures it differently to Trek, then it may not fit either! If you are sure you need a Trek 6500 frame (or Alpha SL) then get another one of those.
  • thatscold
    I been looking at new frame options, as suggested if I can find another 6500 frame I'll buy that.

What about a Cove Handjob or On One Scandal frame? Are these better that the Alpha SL frame I have?

I was riding the single tracks at swinley forest yesterday and really enjoyed it. This is the type of riding I want to do more of.