XC tyres

flyingelephant
flyingelephant Posts: 121
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
rebuilding my hardtail and need new tyres.
Which xc tyres are fast, durable, and are grippy in all conditions?
A Devonian in Norway

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    foldable or not?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Foldable are better I think.
    A Devonian in Norway
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for all conditions Pannaracer Fire XC pro.

Or

for dry Schwalbe racing ralph. and add a Nobby nic or two if it get wetter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Continental Mountain Kings are the ones I'm eyeing up.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Conti Race Kings for dry. If you plan on racing regularly get at least 2 sets of tyres for different conditions, they will make a LOT of difference!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    What does foldable mean?
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Indy, at first I was going to take the p*ss, as I think you may be doing? If not I apologise, it means you can...........................................

fold 'em!

Makes them easier to carry around in your backpack (should you feel the need).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I use Nobby Nics front and rear in winter,swap for a Racing Ralph on the back when things dry up.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    Another vote for the Panaracer Fire XC Pros. Awesome tyres.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • loving my Pana. cinders! very grippy and sure footed! and also fast rolling too!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Panaracer Cinders get my vote too, in my opinion they're better than the Fire's and far superior in both the wet and dry to the Maxxis High Roller I have on the rear at the moment.

I've also have a lot of positive feelings towards the Maxxis Ignitor I'm running tubeless on the front, though it's noisy on tarmac which leads me to think it's not that free-rolling.
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Indy, at first I was going to take the p*ss, as I think you may be doing? If not I apologise, it means you can...........................................

fold 'em!

I see...
    I've always found tyres to be most useful on the wheels, though
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    indysmith wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

fold 'em!

I see...
    I've always found tyres to be most useful on the wheels, though

in the other way saying when you buy it through internet it save you postage coz less space is needed after fold
    also its easyier to carry when you buy it from a shop without putting them on
    i ll b hated to carry a wired tyre
    the other thing is then you ll not need a lever when you fix punchure and change tube
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    I also have Panaracer Cinders, nice and grippy, fast rolling, rode through a thorn bush yesterday and didnt get a single puncture either
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • Surf-Matt
    Conti Speed Kings just ordered for the same "brief" as yours. Will report back ASAP!

My Fast Traks are MUCH worse than hopeless in anything but the dryest of conditions and made me fall off on Saturday!
  • Does no-one else feel the same way about Michelin XCR Drys as I do? Stunning tyre, very fast and very light although because of the lightness I have found that the front end can feel a bit 'flighty' - a problem I don't have with Maxxis High Rollers (also very good).
    My Build is almost complete - I just need some wheels and pedals!
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Using Panaracer Razer XC PR's atm and quite like them (take a bit of getting used to after Trailrakers over the winter ;). Never had a puncture with a Panaracer PR tyre so not looking elsewhere until I do.
  • Ridg
    Ridg Posts: 98
    i use a pana rampage 2.35 on the front and cinder 2.1 on the rear

i find they both grip well in sticky mud, and roll quickly in the dry, my mate uses fire xc pros 2.1 (R/F) and raves about them too

would recomend either!
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Hey can I hikack for a second.

I am having the same problem and spent the last 3 days looking for an ideal tyre.

This is what I do:

Go to work about 4 miles each way.

Then weekend cwmcarn or Afan.

I was looking at the Panaracer fire xc pro's as I like the look of the new blue rims, but they look real grippy for the street, but i guess they would last though.

What do you think guys, I did have nobby nics but they wore so so quick on the street.

Thanks and sorry for hijacking
  • I tend to run on Specialized fast trak pro in the summer (ha !) and Bontrager Jones ACX in the winter. They came with the bike, and after trying a few other brands I put them back on and actually quite like them.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Spider987
    Spider987 Posts: 189
    Maxxis monorails
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I'm tempted to get myself a pair of Panaracer Fire XC Pros 2.1 width. Does anybody know if there's any truth in the rumour that the ones sold by Merlin (and specced on their bikes) aren't the same as those sold through other outlets and are a cheaper rubber etc???????
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I have had conf.

They are the quality 120tpi ones.

But only the ones that are multi colour, well the ones that they responded to me about anyway
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm another with a panaracer rampage up front but I'm running a razer MX on the back. I'm thinking of eventually getting a 2.1 razer and 2.1 cinder for my ss xc bike once i finish it.
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    ok guys sorry for the question :P

i ride around 5 miles everyday to 6th form and then on weekends i ride XC

can anyone recomend any tyres that are going to be good on the offride but also not wear that bad on the old tarmac

I would prefer if they where 2.1-2.3 wide and must defo be 26 inch :P
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • Surf-Matt
    My Conti Mountain King Protection are hardly worn having done about 600 miles, most of it on tarmac and/or tracks. Light, almost puncture proof (had one so far) and grip in mud but roll well on the road. A cracking tyre.