Les Cimes du Mercantour 2008 - my Etape prep

diarmuid
diarmuid Posts: 73
I did my first sportive yesterday, Les Cimes du Mercantour. I found it on the web a few weeks ago so signed myself and a friend up, no real idea of the history of the race. It's a 110km sportive with about 2680m elevation gain. There is practically no flat part, you are either climbing or descending.

We arrived at the registration desk at about 8:25 to find out that it was starting at 8:30 and not 9:00 as we thought. No worries, just joined in at the end of the pack and waited for the go. Lots of ups and down, for the next 5 hrs (our official time was 4:59), hitting the highest point of 1650m. The last climb was tough as we were feeling the effects of the previous 2000m but the descent was great. Here's the output of the Forerunner. (The the total ascent is way off but the absolutes are correct)

The winner was a25 year old English pro , Kieran Page who races for an Irish team. He did the race in 3:35. Incredible. Our time was towards the end of the field but, hey, you have to start somewhere!

It was a fun day out and I'm hoping it will stand to me in the Etape. Any words of encouragement from the old hands at the sportives? (BTW Took up cycling last October as I hated running. )

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Sounds like you did really well and had a good time. That's what it's all about essentially.

It'll be great prep for the Etape too.