tyax elite 08 v scott aspect 55

pdrolo
pdrolo Posts: 127
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
I had my Mongoose Tyax elite 07 stolen - the insurance people agreed to replace it - and I asked for another tyax elite - but got the 08 version. I must confess I don't like the look of this compared to the 07 version - I contacted the suppliers and they said for a £25 handling fee I can choose another bike. Bit short of cash as I had to pay £100 excess. - the scott aspect 55 looks a comparable replacewment for an extra £30 + the handling charge (£55 in all) is this worth doing. suppliers are www.wheelies.co.uk
Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk

Comments

• Trouncey
    Trouncey Posts: 21
    I have the Scott. Tis a great bike for the money. I think spec-wise its pretty comparable to the mongoose. The Aspect frame is meant to be really good though, and it looks great as well.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Lovely Hydroformed frame, hydruailically damped fork and the rest of the components are comparable with other bikes in the price range. Looks great too!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • pdrolo
    Are you sure the fork is dampened - can't see anything on the specs to confirm ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    http://scottusa.com/product/62/751/aspect_55
    Fork
    Suntour XCM-H
    with Lockout
    100mm travel

I'm pretty sure the H stands for Hydraulic, as in hydraulic damping.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, it stands for hydraulic - relates to its lockout, the rebound damping is quite minimal (but better than most at this price!). The XCM DA was a better fork.
  • pdrolo
    they hadn't got the Scott in stock - I have decided to stick with the Tyax Elite 08. - This has hydraulic lock out - does this mean it has some dampening - however minimal !!!
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • Trouncey
    Trouncey Posts: 21
    I think it has exactly the same fork as the scott... which means has dampening