My new ride......UPDATE about steerer.......

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
And she's a beauty....

S7001952.JPG

S7001954.JPG

not had chance to take on long ride yet - hopefully tomorrow.

Just need to sort out the bottle cages !!!!

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Nice bike...

Crikey, how many spacers do they put under the stem !! :o
  • venster
    It is set up to my requirements - after having a bke fit done.

Might have to change them to carbon ones for the full effect...
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Welcome to the club. :)

That's an amazing amount of spacers mind. :shock:
    When I had my fitting done the bike shop said 3cm of spacers was the maximum. That's what I've got on at the minute and the stem is flipped but when it goes in for its post-sale service I'm going to have the stem flipped back to neutral.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Mog Uk wrote:
    Nice bike...

Crikey, how many spacers do they put under the stem !! :o

Whoa, no kidding.

Dennis Noward
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Very cool bike, Angle on the stem is quite alot also.. + alot of spacers.. must be a doddle getting down on the drops
    cartoon.jpg
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Welcome to the club. :)

That's an amazing amount of spacers mind. :shock:
    When I had my fitting done the bike shop said 3cm of spacers was the maximum. That's what I've got on at the minute and the stem is flipped but when it goes in for its post-sale service I'm going to have the stem flipped back to neutral.

i agree i would suggest the poster checks the manufacturers spec, esspiecially if the fork has a carbon steerer, i think most give 1.5 inches and some others an even more conservative height equal to the diameter as a maximum for a 1 1/8inch carbon steerer.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Glad I've never had a bike fit done if that's the result!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    That amount of spacers can't be good i have to say. Maybe the LBS got the sizing wrong, it has been known in the wrong hands ....... :lol:
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Stem-tastic :!: :shock:

Compact chain-set I take it. Nice paint work.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    deal wrote:
    i agree i would suggest the poster checks the manufacturers spec, esspiecially if the fork has a carbon steerer, i think most give 1.5 inches and some others an even more conservative height equal to the diameter as a maximum for a 1 1/8inch carbon steerer.
    Assuming the form came supplied with the bike, why would a fork come that required chopping down? Surely the steerer shouldn't come longer than the recommended length?
    Rich
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    RichA wrote:
    Assuming the form came supplied with the bike, why would a fork come that required chopping down? Surely the steerer shouldn't come longer than the recommended length?

Different frame sizes have different head tube lengths, so making a different steerer length for the fork for each frame would add cost down the line.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    I wish i was a lucky person, Nice...Very Nice :wink:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    When I had my fitting done the bike shop said 3cm of spacers was the maximum...
    Just for comparison of steerer length.
    izzy.jpg

I just find it odd I was told 3cm was the maximum and don't believe LBS would've said so without good reason. If I were you I'd double check with Wilier or with the UK distributor (ATB).
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Very nice indeed 8)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    that cant be right??!!

my wilier to compare [and I think this is high]

Image689.jpg
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • venster
    Thanks everyone for your comments. :wink:

I should say that I have/had a neck problem from leaning over too far and thus needing to strain my neck to look up. Hence a high handlebar - although I will double check the measurements to make sure they are correct.

I'd like to think that the (not so) LBS wouldn't sell me an inappropriate bike. I know it does look a bit odd but it is comfortable to me and that's what's important for me.

What is the problem though if the bars are too high ?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I suspect people are concerned that you'd be putting too much stress on the steerer having the stem attached so far above the headset.
  • venster
    I emailed ATB, as suggetsed by someone, about the steerer length and this is the reply I got:

Hi Simon,

I have spoken to our guys in R ‘n’ D and they believe that there is not a maximum, however if you need to run more than an 1”1/2 on the front then it would be advisable to go for a larger frame (This is mainly due to comfort rather than anything else). If you do need to run a higher stack at the front due to i.e. back problems etc, then we might suggest turning the stem upside down to adjust the angle at the front.

I would suggest speaking to the shop that you purchased the bike from if you have any further concerns.

Kind Regards

Dale

So panic over. I must admit I have lowered the stem, but if I don't get on with it, I raise it back up...