Plea for help - punctures every day!

IJH1
IJH1 Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
I commute 9 miles each way to work in London. I ride a road bike and run Specialized Armadillos 25mm. I'm puncturing almost every time I ride and it's driving me mad. I've tried the following:

- checked the tyres: although they look knackered on the outside nothing seems to be protruding on the inside
- checked the rims and replaced the rim tape
- checked the tyre pressure: I inflate them to over 100lbs/sq inch (they recommend 115 -125 but I'm not convinced my track pump makes it to this - but the tyres do feel rock hard to the touch)

Could it be anything else? Crappy inner tubes, Worn tyre beading? New track pump needed capable of reaching 120lbs/sq inch?

Yours in desperation

IJH

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    IJH1 wrote:
    I commute 9 miles each way to work in London. I ride a road bike and run Specialized Armadillos 25mm. I'm puncturing almost every time I ride and it's driving me mad. I've tried the following:

- checked the tyres: although they look knackered on the outside nothing seems to be protruding on the inside
    - checked the rims and replaced the rim tape
    - checked the tyre pressure: I inflate them to over 100lbs/sq inch (they recommend 115 -125 but I'm not convinced my track pump makes it to this - but the tyres do feel rock hard to the touch)

Could it be anything else? Crappy inner tubes, Worn tyre beading? New track pump needed capable of reaching 120lbs/sq inch?

Yours in desperation

IJH

not an expert on the issue, but I would be investing in new tyres after checking that things like spoke protruding into tube ( unlikely if you've tried new tape)

Tyres sound too worn to offer much resistance to intrusive items
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    If the tyres look knackered they prob are

happened with me in Jan - suddenly started getting loads pf p*nctures, after 3 in a week I swapped the tyres and haven't had one since (touch wood etc)
    <a>road</a>
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I also commute on Spesh Armadillos. They pick up their fair share of glass and gravel in the tread, but rarely has this caused a p*ncture (famous last words). Might be that you have something embedded in the tyre that only pokes through the wall when being ridden - go over the outside of the tyre carefully and remove anything that shouldn't be there. Small screwdriver is good for flicking out bits of road dorf. If it is happening on both tyres, maybe you are just unlucky.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I feel your pain. Nothing worse than repeated punctures.

Replace the worn tyres would be my recommendation. There may be something embedded in the carcass which is too small to see, feel when the tyre is deflated or it could be the protection has worn paper-thin. When the cost of replacement tubes becomes greater than tyres...
    I ride a similar commute to you (and weekend miles besides) on similar tyre pressures and haven't had any unscheduled deflations since I got my new tyres 5 months ago (FWIW: Conti 4Seasons fr, Gatorskin rear)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    sorry to hear your problems, sounds like there is only one answer...new tyres and tubes...you can't beat Schwalbe Marathon plus :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    To the OP, where are the p*nct*res and what type are they?

If they are all happening on the same wheel, and a similar distance from the valve, then this implies there is something sharp in the tyre, rim etc. Locate the area using the p*nt*red tube, and check very carefully.

I spent a pleasant 10 mins picking sharp pebbles, glass and thorns out of my Armadillos once day having got two puntures, you'd be amazed how many pointy things I'd collected!

If the puncture is a "pinch" type, then there may be an issue with your tube / tyre width or your puncture changing technique, or a split in the tyre.

If all else fails, as others have said sink some money in to new tyres / tubes.

Sometimes the P*nct*re Fairy seems to smite us with vegence, the other week when attempting to commute to work, I got flat on the front (sharp pointy stone), changed, a couple of miles later got a flat in the back (thorn), walked home to take the car, and discovered that had a flat due to a slow leak (crud between tyre and rim).

Good luck.

Rufus.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    RufusA wrote:
    To the OP, where are the p*nct*res ...?

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think they might be in his tyres :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :D
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    spen666 wrote:
    RufusA wrote:
    To the OP, where are the p*nct*res ...?

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think they might be in his tyres

Ah - a different kind of problem, I had assumed they were in his inner tubes :twisted: :D
  • SPOODZILLA
    SPOODZILLA Posts: 128
    Had the same problem in November last year. Kenda Kontenda's, 26mm. Only had them 3 months and was getting flats daily. Changed to Vittoria Runbinos 25mm (£16 a pair inc innertubes) running at 130psi and not had a puncture in 9 months, 1600 miles.
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • IJH1
    IJH1 Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the replies. This has been going on for a while so the punctures are pretty randomly distributed and in both wheels, and I do dig out all the shards from time to time. It sounds like new tyres might be the solution even though they look OK to the naked eye so I'll give that a go and probably a new track pump - I was impressed to read that someone runs his commuter tyres at 130psi!

Cheers

IJH
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    SPOODZILLA wrote:
    Had the same problem in November last year. Kenda Kontenda's, 26mm. Only had them 3 months and was getting flats daily. Changed to Vittoria Runbinos 25mm (£16 a pair inc innertubes) running at 130psi and not had a puncture in 9 months, 1600 miles.

I had them kenda kontendas I went about 9 months with occaisional punctures before I started getting daily punctures and replaced them with gp4000s's and have only had one puncture since I fitted them. I think worn tyres can be a big culprit with punctures, when I compared my front tyre to the back before replacing them I realised my back tyre had about 3mm less rubber on the central patch - it had been worn down to a squared profile instead of a round profile :D

Worn tyres are to my mind asking for punctures.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    SPOODZILLA wrote:
    running at 130psi .

Not had a puncture in nine months but can't sit still and have to pee doing a handstand.

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus will put an end to all of your puncture woes. (Fit new inner tubes at the same time.)
    They are an absolute bugger to get on the wheel, but well worth the struggle.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    dondare wrote:
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus will put an end to all of your puncture woes. (Fit new inner tubes at the same time.)

They are a pain in the ar5e to fit, but mine have been running great since I fitted them about a month ago! Picked mine up for £38 for the pair from Bike Plus in Croydon. They do have a website (not well designed mind you, so finding them can take a while!) and I do think they offer delivery - but as most other retailers are doing them at £23-26 each and never seem to have 700*25c in they are worth a look :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    This happened to my wife when she started commuting, tried everything including new tyres and tubes. Turned out she was riding in the gutter in all the glass and crap that accumulates there. Once she learned to ride further out in the road it ceased to be a problem.
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    This solution may be a bit OTT.
    I bought a new pair of Michelin City 700x28s(with anti punc**** strip) and put Continental Ultra Gator Skins 700x23s(used ones off my road bike) inside them.
    Now my inner tubes have double protection and I have peace of mind.So far so good.Since my commute is 10 miles per day the extra 400 grams isn't an issue.
  • dan1w
    dan1w Posts: 7
    I repeatedly had punctures on a set of Maxxis detenators, first of all it turned out to be the spokes protruding through the rim, new rim tapes, sorted.

Then I got a few punctures and couldn't figure out from where. Had a friend look at it and he couldn't tell either. Turned out the cantilever brake was flexing forward into the sidewall of the tyre on braking and had worn through it in just one spot, wasn't as easy to spot as it sounds.

Since then I mount my tyres with the brand name (written on the sidewall) parallel with the innertube valve. This way when I get a puncture I know where on the tyre to look once I've got the innertube out to try and find the culprit.
  • W5454 wrote:
    This solution may be a bit OTT.
    I bought a new pair of Michelin City 700x28s(with anti punc**** strip) and put Continental Ultra Gator Skins 700x23s(used ones off my road bike) inside them.
    Now my inner tubes have double protection and I have peace of mind.So far so good.Since my commute is 10 miles per day the extra 400 grams isn't an issue.

Great thinking! Probably similar to what Superman was trying to achieve by wearing his pants outside his tights, only he failed where you have demonstrably succeeded. :)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    dondare wrote:

They are a pain in the ar5e to fit, but mine have been running great since I fitted them about a month ago! Picked mine up for £38 for the pair from Bike Plus in Croydon. They do have a website (not well designed mind you, so finding them can take a while!) and I do think they offer delivery - but as most other retailers are doing them at £23-26 each and never seem to have 700*25c in they are worth a look :-)

I second (third?) SMPs: got one on the back of the golden oldie, been absolutely ace

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    I have just changed from continental sport contact to schwalbe marathon plus, the schwalbes are a lot wider so I will lose some speed but there is plenty more grip and hopefully better puncture protection.....well here's hoping :D
  • STOP mentioning the "p" word!!1one :P
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have just changed from continental sport contact to schwalbe marathon plus, the schwalbes are a lot wider so I will lose some speed but there is plenty more grip and hopefully better puncture protection.....well here's hoping :D

no they are seriously good, not bad for mild off road stuff, lots of on road grip even do their best on wet manhole covers, and bar running over anti tank mines do seem unstoppable. if not spritely
  • Shimnolo
    Shimnolo Posts: 10
    No, no, no. Unless you are prepared to pedal through treacle on your 9-miler give Marathons a wide berth. They are the last resort for the paranoid.

By all means buy some new tyres, but remember you want to enjoy your riding and choose something much lighter. I personally think Gatorskins are overrated, but loads of mates swear by them and at 230-ish grams they are a fairly swift alternative.

Panaracer are advertising their new RiBMo commuter as 4 times less likely to flat, but it doesn't weigh a ton. You could try them and let us all know how they perform?

And if you get the odd flat, so what. I'll bet some nice person will stop at the side of the road and help you fix it. I've met some lovely people like that.
  • markybhoy67
    Well, got to use the grip on the marathon plus today :x

Peeing rain and coming up to a a set of lights and travelling at a fair speed some idiot decides to pull in front of me and leave me with virtually no room on the inside, well I slammed on disc brakes and the back of the bike decided that it would slide out, thankfully I managed to catch it in time, probably more luck than skill but I defo put this down to grip on the schwalbes. I think the contis would not have handled this as they where almost full slick.

I have defo lost downhill speed with the schwalbes but I am happy to sacrifice speed for grip.

I am paranoid about rear wheel punctures due to the fiddly nature of the alfine hub gear cable and trying to realine the wheel when putting back on the bike so that why I have hopefully got one of the better anti p tyres.

I live to ride another day :D
  • markybhoy67
    Shimnolo wrote:
    No, no, no. Unless you are prepared to pedal through treacle on your 9-miler give Marathons a wide berth. They are the last resort for the paranoid.

By all means buy some new tyres, but remember you want to enjoy your riding and choose something much lighter. I personally think Gatorskins are overrated, but loads of mates swear by them and at 230-ish grams they are a fairly swift alternative.

Panaracer are advertising their new RiBMo commuter as 4 times less likely to flat, but it doesn't weigh a ton. You could try them and let us all know how they perform?

And if you get the odd flat, so what. I'll bet some nice person will stop at the side of the road and help you fix it. I've met some lovely people like that.

Hi Shimnolo, I had already bought the schwalbes got 1.9 rather than 2.1's so not massive difference from the conti 1.6's that where on the bike when I got it.

To be honest I never bought the bike for speed, purely to try and get fit by commuting to work.

I probably aint a fan of very thin tyres as the roads I cycle on aren't great (what's new there) and a few times the wheels have got stuck in gaps in the tarmac and it's quite scary trying to negotiate your way out of them :lol:

I also probably never bought the best bike for commuting but I like the idea of the enclosed gear box as wheel as the quick shifters so hopefully little maintenance in the future apart from services at the lbs, that's why I went for the ridgeback nemesis

Cheers for the reply and the recommendations though :mrgreen: