Too Many F****ng idiots at Hyde Park Corner

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Please, get some brains people.

I'm talking all modes of transport here, cyclists, pedestrians and car drivers.

So, I'm at Hyde Park Corner on the big island bit with the Wellington Arch on it, heading up into Hyde park, waiting at the crossing to go across Grosvnor Place to the other little island and then cross into Hyde Park itself.

Now IDIOTS in cars sweep round this corner at high speed very close to the kerb and sometimes you'll get IDIOTS standing out a bit in the road (with or without cycle).

Then you've got the IDIOTS (normally on cycles) who think it's a good idea to shoot out into the road as soon as the lights for the traffic go amber.

This is a very stupid thing to do as witnessed by me tonight.

Lights go amber for traffic, two IDIOTS on cycles start off, IDIOT in car shoots amber light and nearly hits the IDIOTS who choose to go TOO EARLY. Just at the time when any IDIOT in a car is going to be FLOORING it to break the line before the light goes red.

They remonstrated with the car for not stopping, I shouted at them "you did the same thing", cos they did, in reverse kind of if you get what I mean.

The car didn't actually break the law and if he hadn't have stopped in time the poilce would have had three IDIOTS (two cyclists and a car driver) to deal with, except the cyclists might just've needed a spade and a bucket.

What a bunch of tw*ts.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    You London boys get my vote for Bravery awards!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    .,.oh me, oh my, life in the smoke :( ...London cyclists are a breed apart, my hat's off to you!...me, I had to give way to a tractor when I was riding home yesterday afternoon...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    gtvlusso wrote:

*ahem*
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    As a daily London commuter I find London rush hour traffic much safer then dicing with lunatic country drivers screaming round blind hedgrowed country lanes or oblivious thundering juggernauts on supposedly quiet B roads.

Reading this forum I'm amazed that anyone outside the M25 ever dares to get out on a bike at all. You are all nuts.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It's incontrovertible that the average standard of motoring in central London is WAY higher than in the suburbs or countryside. Bad drivers stand out like a sore thumb so it's sort of easier to spot them. Doesn't mean I am happier in central London, but if you're a good cyclist you should be able to work with the vast majority of your fellow road users to create a safe commuting environment for everyone.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I love riding in London, there's nothing quite like the excitement of rush hour traffic, and nothing beats flying past dozens of cars in a traffic jam!
    Having said this I have driven round Hyde Park Corner on numerous occasions and have had far to many close calls with cars changing lanes without indicating or just moving regardless of whether there is room!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    helz wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

*ahem*

Should be banned, I will say no more, other than mention a near miss with a tree yesterday becuase I was looking the other way...
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    I use HPC between Grosvenor place and Constitution Hill and it is a nightmare trying to pull out, cars, taxis etc seem to use it as a racetrack. It's a proper rush when you do get out onto it though!!

It's only a matter of time before I get knocked off my bike there so I use the southern route to get past Buck Palace most of the time now.

If you see me (on a Boardman MTB with a London Underground rucksack) give us a wave!
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    When I was trying out routes to commute (from Twickenham to Southbank) I looked at HPC. Didn't like the idea of the rush and crush at the lights...I go via the Chelsea embankment instead.

Commuting in London is fun...I treat it like I'm riding off road, Squeezing through gaps, bombing it along a rough track, no roots or mud to worry about though...just like a bit of single track except the trees move and they are more expensive :shock:...Makes it quite entertaining really :wink:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    [old git]
    When I started cycle commuting back in '96 there was at most 5 of us at the lights waiting to cross the HPC junction
    [/old git]
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    HPC is an absolute b*itch.

I never ride around the South side of it. Even coming down Park Lane then going to Constitutional Hill can be very tricky and not for the faint hearted,

Marble Arch is just as bad.

Any brave souls here ever gone around the Hanger Lane Gyratory :twisted: :twisted:
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    NWLondoner wrote:

Any brave souls here ever gone around the Hanger Lane Gyratory :twisted: :twisted:

Yes 8)

Going north from Hanger Lane onto the Alperton Road is fine. You just need to get at front at the traffic lights and dominate the feeder lane.

Going south is another matter. Coming off the Alperton Road or the North Circular to get back down Hanger Lane involves a long slow climb on a very wide expanse of tarmac with lots of vehicles doing fast lane changes.

South on the Hanger Lane Gyratory is one of the very few places I opt to use the 'facility' underpass :oops: